DevOps using Visual Studio ALM 2015
Date of Class:
Last Day To Enroll:
- Course Delivery: Virtual Classroom
- Language: English
Following on from CI, we focus on Continuous Delivery (CD) and how we can automate the deployment of our applications to different servers in a reliable and repeatable manner. As part of this we look at Continuous Testing (CT) including the remote execution of automated tests including UI testing once we deploy our application. The course then looks at the benefits of PowerShell and the use of Desired State Configuration (DSC) to configure the machines where youâll deploy your application components. The final modules of the course look at Release Management for Visual Studio and Application Insights. This course includes hands-on labs to reinforce practical skills and ensure youâre ready to use the tools on your return to your workplace.
- Describe the full feature-set of Microsoftâs Application Lifecycle Management suite
- Use the Agile Planning tools to maintain a prioritised flow of work to the team
- Identify the problems caused by technical debt
- Use some common features in Visual Studio to help reduce Technical Debt
- Configure a build environment based on the new build system introduced in the 2015 release
- Create a new build definition and configure Continuous Integration
- Custom build templates and create a custom build task
- Update the build definition to deploy an application to remote servers
- Automate the execution of tests on the newly deployed application
- Use powershell to create simple scripts to aid in the deployment and configuration of applications
- Use Desired State Configuration (DSC) to manage server configuration
- Create environments and release templates using Release Management
- Configure Application Insights to provide rich information about the availability, usage and performance of your application
Module 1 - Introducing DevOps and the Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 family
- What is DevOps and why it is important?
- DevOps goals
- Overview of the Visual Studio 2015 family
- Overview of product features
- Overview of Agile planning tools
- Shortening lead time
- Managing a prioritised flow of work to the team
- Enabling agility in your teams
- Unit testing and code coverage
- Identifying code clones
- Using CodeLens
- Understanding your application using Codemaps
- Understanding the new 2015 Build infrastructure
- Create Agent pools and installing Build Agents
- How to scale your build infrastructure
- Overview of non-Windows Build Agents
- Creating new build definitions
- Running tests as part of your build
- Creating templates from your builds
- A lap around the available build tasks
- Extending builds using scripts
- Creating your own custom build task
- Packaging your application
- Using Build Tasks to deploy your application components
- Configuring your servers for remote test execution
- Executing UI tests on your remote machines
- Analysing test results
- What is PowerShell?
- How can PowerShell help in DevOps?
- Writing a PowerShell script
- Using the PowerShell ISE
- Introduction to Desired State Configuration
- Understanding WinRM, DSC resources and the local configuration manager (LCM)
- Installing the DSC resource kit
- Using DSC to prepare your servers
- Release Management for Visual Studio 2015
- Creating environments and releases
- Configuring approval workflows
- The importance of application analytics
- Enabling Application Insights in your applications
- Monitoring your application availability
- Examining usage to make better decisions
- Troubleshooting made easy
Before attending this course, attendees should be familiar with Visual Studio and the basic use of Team Foundation Server or Visual Studio Online.
Subject Matter Expert
Productivity Point Global is led by a team of individuals with world-class experience in professional development skills and leading edge technologies. These established professionals collaborate to drive PPG's business forward through entrepreneurial innovation, strategic partnerships, brand management and sales growth.
Productivity Point Global, previously ExecuTrain of Florida, began in 2003 and evolved out of a desire to increase our outreach both nationally and internationally. Utilizing the highest standard in customer service combined with our subject matter experts and high-end training venues, PPG has carved a niche by consistently expanding our corporate and government client base, originally hosted in the southeastern region of the US.
By consistently setting quality as the benchmark of our value system, PPG combines strategic partnerships and cutting edge technology with our determined efforts to branch out into other regions. PPG's combination of technology and professional skills training, IT outsourcing, and event hosting enables us to place a focused emphasis on the diversified business needs of our clients.
For more info please visit: http://www.productivitypoint.com/
Got questions? Contact us below or call 877-881-2235
Why Choose 360training.com?
- Fast and easy courses completion
- Get an education faster than at traditional colleges!
- 100% online - No classroom attendance required.
- Unlimited 24x7 online customer support
- Over 500,000+ certified nationwide.