Top 5 Tips to Author Effective E-Courses
Wondering what it takes to develop an outclass online training of your own? Below are some tips that will help you develop a powerful and rewarding elearning course.
- Planning: Smart planning is a key to success. Before you start writing your course, it’s better to plan a framework of your course’s description, its learning outcomes, training goals, organization and selection of course content, assessments, interactions, students expectations and so forth. Having this information in hand will keep things well organized and moving forward smoothly.
- Synergy: No matter how expert you are in your field and how well-crafted your course is, it is always a good idea to share your course’s draft with colleagues and experts. The benefit of this practice is that you will get an expert’s feedback and run a quick quality check on your elearning courses, both at the same time. Do not forget to accept criticism open-heartedly during this process.
- Arousal of Interest in Learners: Interest is a key factor in learning. Always remember to add items of learners’ interest in your courses. Do note that interest doesn’t mean flashy pictures or humorous quotes; an interesting element can be added to an online course in the form of interactive games, animations, videos, activities, real life scenarios, case studies, etc. Interesting and relevant images in a course can also motivate learners to focus on the subject more. Sprinkle interactivity and curiosity elements throughout the course to maximize learning. Remember, interesting elements in an online training course can transform a conventional course into an interesting story that every learner would want to hear.
- Precision and Simplicity: The beauty of effective authoring lies in presenting complex ideas in a simple and straightforward manner. While authoring courses, ensure to make best use of the course authoring tool that you are using and create simple, precise and compelling training. Shun lengthy and complicated sentence structures and transfer complex points of your training by using built-in templates (flowcharts, diagrams and animations) of your course authoring tool.
- Effective Communication: Distance and its impact on communication can be one of the greatest challenges in online training. Most instructors are under a wrong impression that online learning does not require any communication or support. This mind-set is very limiting, and can result in a non-optimal course. Communication in an online course is as important as it is in a classroom training. Overcome the communication barrier between yourself and your potential student by increasing communication in the form of feedback during assessment, clear instructions, student interactivity, and so forth.
- Effective Assessments: Assessing students performance is crucial to the learning process. Well-designed assessments improve instructional process and enhance learning. Add challenging assessments, practice exams and/or knowledge checks during and at the end of each lesson of the course to help learners revise and absorb all the key ideas that they have learned during the training.
Try out the above mentioned tips while authoring online courses to create training that is exciting to learn and has the ability to educate learners in best possible way.