The certificate program is designed to supply essential education integrating exercise science curriculum and practical training techniques into a systematic model that teaches students to progress their clients through different training levels and phases. Students will be prepared for careers working at medically-based fitness facilities, community wellness programs, personal training studios, physical therapy clinics, corporate fitness centers, YMCA’s/JCC’s, and private and commercial health clubs. Included with the either certificate program registration, you will receive complimentary access to receive the National Posture Institute’s Certified Resistance Training Professional™ (RTP™) designation. In addition, the program prepares students for the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Certified Personal Trainer Certification. ACSM provides graduating certificate students a Preferred Discount on the ACSM Personal Training Certification Exam and study materials.
• For adults (18 and over)
• Students must have a GED or High School diploma to participate
Program Course List and Course Descriptions:
Introduction to Exercise Science - Level 1 (Anatomy and Kinesiology): 50 Hours
In this course, students gain an understanding of musculoskeletal and functional anatomy and the effects of exercise placed on joint structures during exercise movements. Emphasis is placed on learning about proper body alignment, joint range of motion (ROM), basic biomechanics, and kinesiological principles to the development of safe and effective exercise programs.
Introduction to Exercise Science - Level 2 (Exercise Physiology): 50 Hours
This course is designed to teach the personal trainer how the muscular, skeletal, and cardiorespiratory systems function with and without exercise conditioning. Additional topics include energy metabolism, neuromuscular function, and the physiology of exercise in relation to training programs and environmental considerations.
Health Risk Profiles and Fitness Assessment Techniques: 50 Hours
This course teaches students how to assess and evaluate cardiorespiratory endurance, muscular testing techniques, joint ROM, flexibility, body-fat analysis, blood pressure, and body measurements based on ACSM guidelines. Topics include client screening procedures, medical and health history intake forms, identifying high-risk clients, determining the appropriate test, conducting the test, and evaluating the results.
Business Administration and Management Aspects for Personal Trainers: 50 Hours
This course gives personal trainers a solid background in developing or starting a personal training business and prepares them for financial management, marketing strategies, and business plan development. Techniques for effective management include standards and guidelines, facility/studio personnel management, and operational issues from a small personal training (PT) studio to managing a PT department at a large health facility.
Designing Exercise Prescriptions for Normal/Special Populations: 50 Hours
This course teaches how to develop an exercise prescription in relation to health implications for normal/special populations related to age, medical condition, and fitness level. Topics include cardiac conditions, diabetes, physical disabilities, HIV and AIDS, asthma, sensory impairments, pregnancy, and program design for children to senior populations. This course is designed as a research-based class with emphasis on designing a step-by-step process to creating individualized exercise programs.
Optional Field Internship: 60 Hours
Prerequisite: 5 Core Courses and CPR Certification
NOTE: This course is an optional course and is not required to receive the Professional Certificate. Learn to work with professionals in the fitness and health industry for a hands-on experience working with members at fitness facilities and health centers.
- Guidance, instruction, and interaction from outstanding instructors that hold either a Master's or Ph.D. degree in exercise science, biomechanics, exercise physiology, kinesiology, physical therapy, nutrition or an exercise science-related degree.
- Optional Field Internship Course: Students that enter the program have three unique internship options.
- Obtain a professional college certificate from an accredited institution.
- College courses provide CECs or CEUs for personal trainers, group fitness instructors, physical therapists, athletic trainers, exercise physiologists, RD's, chiropractors and for those fitness and health professionals seeking re-certification, re-licensure, or career advancement.
- Cost-effective: expenses related to facilities, travel, and non-productive time is reduced.
- Control and flexibility: online education allows students to complete course work at their own pace.
- Easy access: online education allows students to access their education from anywhere there is an Internet connection.
- Advanced education for personal trainers, group fitness instructors, physical therapists, RD's, athletic trainers, fitness managers, nurses, and chiropractors.
- Networking opportunities with industry experts, medical professionals, professors, researchers, and business leaders in the industry.
- The Professional Certificate in Personal Fitness Training program is offered in partnership with the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), the National Posture Institute (NPI), and Personal Fitness Professional (PFP). Each organization provide students with educational, membership and national certification exam opportunities.
- Current ACSM-Certified Professionals who complete courses in the Certificate in Personal Fitness Training program will earn ACSM Continuing Education Credits (CECs) towards recertification.
- Introduction to Exercise Science-Level I (Anatomy and Kinesiology)
- Introduction to Exercise Science-Level II (Exercise Physiology)
- Health Risk Profiles and Fitness Assessment Techniques
- Business Administration and Management Aspects for Personal Trainers
- Designing Exercise Prescriptions for Normal/Special Populations
- Optional Field Internship in Personal Training (Elective)
Subject Matter Expert
Program Coordinator: Ken Baldwin, M.ED, ACSM-H/FI, NPI-CPS is the former Chair of IDEA's National Personal Trainer Committee and Chair of the Senior Fitness Subcommittee for the Massachusetts's Governor's Committee on Physical Fitness and Sports. Ken is the Senior Editor and lead author for the American College of Sports Medicine - ACSM's Resources for the Personal Trainer Manual (2nd Ed.) and textbook. He continues to serve on national committees for ACSM, AAHPERD (AAPAR), and the Medical Fitness Association (MFA). He has been honored with numerous awards including IDEA's Personal Trainer of the Year Award, presented at the IDEA International Personal Training Summit.
Got questions? Contact us below or call 877-881-2235
Why choose 360training.com?
- Get an education faster than at traditional colleges!
- 100% online — No classroom attendance required.
- All program materials included in one low price!
- Unlimited 24x7 online customer support
- Over 500,000+ certified nationwide
Personal Fitness Training ACSM
By earning an ACSM certification, you'll be meeting a quality standard recognized and accepted by other leaders in the healthcare industry. This certification prepares you for a career working in medically-based fitness facilities, community wellness programs, personal training studios, physical therapy clinics, corporate fitness centers, YMCA's/JCC's, and private and commercial health clubs. This affordable program is suitable for both new and experienced health enthusiasts seeking to advance their career. Choose 360training.com for you ACSM certification and be on your way to earning up to $100,000 a year!
What your registration includes:
- Career-focused training that prepares students to work in the legal field.
- Self-paced, online course — The flexibility to follow your own schedule!
- Unlimited access to course until completion
- Support from a live instructor and Career Services counselor
- Official, printable certificate of completion