VMware vSphere on NetApp
Date of Class:
Last Day To Enroll:
- Course Delivery: Virtual Classroom
- Language: English
Managing a vSphere storage virtualization environment requires knowledge of the features that exist between VMware and NetApp to handle large data workloads. The VMware vSphere on NetApp training provides in-depth use of best practices to improve storage resource utilization, simplify operating system maintenance irrespective of the storage topology, data center operations simplification, and optimal use of your NetApp storage. The course covers the management of any cloud infrastructure using Data ONTAP 7-mode, Clustered Data ONTAP mode, and the VMware vSphere 5.1 virtualization and management suite.
This hands-on 5-day class with hands on labs immerses you into the virtual machine management and storage operations spanning NetApp Data ONTAP, VMware ESXi 5.1 with vCenter management. You will get a hands-on experience using the vCenter NetApp plug-in, the Virtual Storage Console (VSC), configuring and monitoring the VMware host settings, performing backups, restoration, and virtual machine cloning operations.
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Deploy a virtualized infrastructure using NetApp storage based on the feature integration that exists with VMware vSphere and NetApp ONTAP
- Show a firm and practical knowledge of VMware services, protocols and connectivity options
- Utilize NetApp vCenter plug-ins to ensure proper functionality and performance for virtual machines
- Utilize NetApp Virtual Storage Console (VSC) to automate the backup, provisioning, machine cloning and host optimization configuration
- Perform host monitoring on ESXi hosts and NetApp storage through a single-pane-of-glass. Optimize virtual machine performance and correct virtual disk misalignment.
- Optimize NetApp Storage system connectivity, performance and reliability using Fibre Channel Protocol (FCP), FCoE, iSCSI, and NFS protocols.
- Implement multi-tenancy through the use of vFilers or Vservers
- Configure storage from the vSphere CLI or GUI in either NetApp clustered ONTAP or 7-mode
- Install and configure NetApp vSphere plug-ins and utilize the features
- Perform data storage networking for both iSCSI and NFS datastores
- Manage virtual machine snapshots at both the virtualization and storage layers
- Implement high availability and disaster recovery features
Module 1 Introduction
Module 2 Review of NetApp Storage
- The Need for Networked Storage
- NetApp Unified Storage
- Clustered ONTAP
- Storage Efficiency
- ESXi 5.1
- vCenter 5.1
- What is new in vSphere 5.1?
- A little History to put things in perspective
- vStorage APIs for Storage Awareness (VASA)
- vStorage APIs for Array Integration (VAAI)
- Virtual Storage Console
- RBAC (Role-Based Access Control) User Creator
- Does it matter?
- Conclusion: Pick the best solution for you
- Ethernet Quick Info Making Ethernet reliable:
- Link Aggregation, LACP, Multi-Pathing
- VMFS Datastores
- Fibre Channel, Fibre Channel over Ethernet or iSCSI
- iSCSI Quick Info
- Fibre Channel, FCoE
- Ethernet Best Practices
- Common Best Practices
- iSCSI Best Practices
- NFS Best Practices
Module 7 Virtual Machine (VM) Data
- VMFS Alignment
- How can we determine if I/O is correctly aligned?
- Zero Downtime Alignment with VSC 4.x
- Using VMware Converter
- User/Application Data
- RDMs vs. VMFS âdisksâ
- Storage Efficienc
- Dedupe and Compression
- Principles of Multi-tenancy
- SVM (clustered ONTAP)
- MultiStore vs. SVM (clustered ONTAP)
- VLAN and VMware vSwitch
- IPSpaces (NetApp 7-Mode)
- vSphere: SIOC
- NetApp FlexShare (7-Mode)
- NetApp Storage QoS (clustered ONTAP)
- Management Separation
- vCenter Management
- Storage RBAC
- Planned Events
- Storage vMotion
- Data Motion
- Non-Disruptive volume and LIF migration
- Unplanned Events
- VMware High Availability (HA)
- VMware Fault Tolerance (FT)
- NetApp High Availability (HA)
- Site Failover and Recovery
- Synchronous SnapMirror
- VMware Snapshots
- NetApp Snapshots
- SnapManager for Virtual Infrastructure (SMVI)
- Site Recovery Manager
- SnapCreator Framework
- SnapCreator Workflow
- Networking Performance
- ESXi Performance
- VM and Guest OS Considerations
- VMware on NetApp Troubleshooting
Module 1 Review NetApp Storage
- Check and Set Up Your 7-Mode Storage Environment
- Check and Set Up Your clustered Storage Environment
- VMware, vCenter Networking
- Set Up NetApp VMware Integration
- iSCSI Configuration
- NFS Storage
- High Availability
- Backup with VSC
- Explore and Manage Alerts, Monitoring
- System administration experience managing either the Linux or Microsoft Windows operating system
- Completion of the VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage (Version 6.0) (VICM) or equivalent experience.
- Completion of the Data ONTAP 7-Mode Administration (D7ADM) or equivalent experience.
Subject Matter Expert
Productivity Point Global is led by a team of individuals with world-class experience in professional development skills and leading edge technologies. These established professionals collaborate to drive PPG's business forward through entrepreneurial innovation, strategic partnerships, brand management and sales growth.
Productivity Point Global, previously ExecuTrain of Florida, began in 2003 and evolved out of a desire to increase our outreach both nationally and internationally. Utilizing the highest standard in customer service combined with our subject matter experts and high-end training venues, PPG has carved a niche by consistently expanding our corporate and government client base, originally hosted in the southeastern region of the US.
By consistently setting quality as the benchmark of our value system, PPG combines strategic partnerships and cutting edge technology with our determined efforts to branch out into other regions. PPG's combination of technology and professional skills training, IT outsourcing, and event hosting enables us to place a focused emphasis on the diversified business needs of our clients.
For more info please visit: http://www.productivitypoint.com/
Got questions? Contact us below or call 877-881-2235
Why Choose 360training.com?
- Fast and easy courses completion
- Get an education faster than at traditional colleges!
- 100% online - No classroom attendance required.
- Unlimited 24x7 online customer support
- Over 500,000+ certified nationwide.