6231-Maintaining a Microsoft SQL Server Database 2008
Date of Class:
Last Day To Enroll:
- Course Delivery: Virtual Classroom
- Language: English
The course focuses on teaching individuals how to use SQL Server 2008 product features and tools related to maintaining a database. This course is intended for IT Professionals who administer and maintain SQL Server databases.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Install and configure SQL Server 2008
- Manage database files
- Backup and restore databases
- Manage security
- Transfer data into and out of SQL Server
- Automate administrative tasks
- Replicate data between SQL Server instances
- Maintain high availability
- Monitor SQL Server
Module 1: Installing and Configuring SQL Server
The students will be introduced to planning for a SQL Server installation. The students will then be introduced to installing, configuring, and managing SQL Server.
- Preparing to Install SQL Server
- Installing SQL Server
- Configuring a SQL Server Installation
- (Level 200) Installing SQL Server
- (Level 200) Configuring SQL Server
- Explain how to prepare the hardware and other resources necessary to install SQL Server.
- Install SQL Server.
- Manage and configure SQL Server.
The students will be introduced to database planning and creation, and using database options to control database behavior.
- Planning Databases
- Creating Databases
- Using Policy-Based Management
- (Level 200) Creating a Database
- (Level 200) Monitoring and Managing Filegroup Usage
- (Level 200) Creating a Policy
- Plan a database implementation that meets an organization's requirements.
- Create a SQL Server database.
- Manage a SQL Server database.
The students will be introduced to disaster recovery techniques for SQL Server. They will learn how to perform different types of backup and restore operations, including online restores and backup and restores of system databases.
- Planning a Backup Strategy
- Backing Up User Databases
- Restoring User Databases
- Performing Online Restore Operations
- Recovering Data from Database Snapshots
- System Databases and Disaster Recovery
- (Level 200) Designing a Backup Strategy
- (Level 200) Implementing a Backup Strategy
- (Level 200) Restoring and Recovering a Database
- (Level 300) Performing Piecemeal Backup and Restore Operations
- (Level 200) Restoring the master Database
- Plan a backup strategy for a database.
- Back up user databases.
- Restore user databases from backups.
- Restore data in a user database while it is online.
- Recover data for a user database from a database snapshot.
- Restore and recover system databases.
The students will be introduced to protecting SQL Server. Students will learn about the SQL Server security model and how to use SQL Server security features to control access to databases and their contents.
- Overview of SQL Server Security
- Protecting the Server Scope
- Protecting the Database Scope
- Protecting the Server Scope
- Auditing Security
- (Level 200) Creating Logins and Assigning Server-Scope Permissions
- (Level 200) Creating and Managing Users
- (Level 300) Using a Certificate to Protect Data
- (Level 200) Implementing SQL Server Audit
- Describe how SQL Server manages security.
- Protect SQL Server at the server level.
- Protect SQL Server databases.
- Use keys and certificates to protect SQL Server objects.
- Audit SQL Server security.
The students will be introduced to transfer data to and from SQL Server using UI and command-line tools, and learn about transferring and transforming data with SQL Server Integration Services.
- Overview of Data Transfer
- Introduction to SQL Server Integration Services
- (Level 200) Using the Import/Export Wizard
- (Level 200) Performing a Bulk Load
- (Level 200) Creating an SSIS Solution
- Use UI and command-line tools to import and export data.
- Describe the features of SQL Server Integration Services.
The students will learn how to automate routine administrative tasks using jobs, operators, and alerts.
- Automating Administrative Tasks in SQL Server
- Using SQL Server Agent
- Creating Maintenance Plans
- Implementing Alerts
- Managing Multiple Servers
- Managing SQL Server Agent security
- (Level 200) Configuring SQL Server Agent
- (Level 200) Creating Operators and Jobs
- (Level 200) Creating Alerts
- Define SQL Server administrative tasks and schedule those tasks to run automatically.
- Configure SQL Server Agent to support automatic task scheduling.
- Script tasks by using SQL Server jobs, and define operators for managing those jobs.
- Define alerts to warn operators about events raised by SQL Server.
- Define and manage administrative tasks that span multiple servers.
- Configure SQL Server Agent security.
The students will be introduced to techniques for configuring SQL Server replication.
- Overview of Replication
- Managing Publications and Subscriptions
- Configuring Replication in Some Common Scenarios
- (Level 300) Implementing Snapshot Replication
- (Level 300) Implementing Peer-to-Peer Transactional Replication
- (Level 300) Implementing HTTP Merge Replication
- Describe replication and its components.
- Configure and implement replication.
- Use replication to meet the requirements of some common scenarios.
The students will be introduced to concepts and methods for maintaining high availability with SQL Server.
- Introduction to High Availability
- Implementing Log Shipping
- Implementing Database Mirroring
- Implementing Server Clustering
- Using Distributed High Availability Solutions
- (Level 300) Configuring Log Shipping
- (Level 300) Configuring Database Mirroring
- (Level 300) Implementing SQL Server Clustering
- Describe the factors affecting database availability.
- Describe how to implement log shipping to support fast recovery of a standby SQL Server database
- Describe how to use SQL Server mirroring to implement a software solution for fast failover
- Explain how to implement clustering to support fast failover of computers running SQL Server instances.
- Describe how to implement distributed high availability solutions.
The students will be introduced to monitoring SQL Server performance and activity.
- Viewing Current Activity
- Using SQL Server Profiler
- Monitoring with DDL Triggers
- Using Event Notifications
- (Level 200) Monitoring SQL Server Activity
- (Level 300) Tracing SQL Server Activity
- (Level 200) Using DDL Triggers
- (Level 200) Using Event Notifications
- Examine the current activity in a SQL Server instance.
- Use SQL Server Profiler to trace server and database activity.
- Use DDL triggers to monitor changes to the structure of database objects.
- Use event notifications to capture and monitor significant events for a SQL Server instance.
The students will learn how to troubleshoot a variety of common SQL Server problems. Students will also learn how to tune SQL Server for improved performance using a variety of tools.
- Troubleshooting SQL Server
- Performance Tuning in SQL Server
- Using Resource Governor
- Using Data Collector
- (Level 300) Troubleshooting Connectivity Problems
- (Level 300) Troubleshooting Concurrency Problems
- (Level 300) Using the Database Engine Tuning Advisor
- (Level 300) Implementing Resource Governor
- (Level 300) Implementing Data Collector
- Troubleshoot common SQL Server problems, such as connectivity, concurrency, and job and disk space problems.
- Perform basic performance tuning tasks in SQL Server using the Database Engine Tuning Advisor, index tuning, and query running.
- Use Resource Governor to manage SQL Server workloads and resources.
- Use Data Collector to obtain performance data about your computer and the instances of SQL Server running on your computer.
To ensure the successful completion of this course, we recommend completion of one of the following courses, or equivalent knowledge:
- Basic knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating system and its core functionality
- Working knowledge of Transact-SQL.
- Working knowledge of relational databases
- Some experience with database design
Got questions? Contact us below or call 877-881-2235
Why Choose 360training.com?
- Fast and easy courses completion
- Get an education faster than at traditional colleges!
- 100% online - No classroom attendance required.
- Unlimited 24x7 online customer support
- Over 500,000+ certified nationwide.