Over the last century or so, electricity has become an increasingly important and integral part of our daily lives. Knowledge of the fundamentals of electricity and application is increasingly necessary not only for those of us who work in the electric power industry, but also for the general public.
In this four-module program on electrical fundamentals, we introduce for study the general physics or basic natural laws that govern the use of electricity. This material will serve as a solid foundation on which to build the more advanced concepts dealt with in our many other training programs.
In presenting this material, we have tried to limit mathematics and complicated calculations, preferring instead to demonstrate concepts by the use of powerful animated graphics. However, we cannot dispense with calculations altogether, so please stick with us; this material does get more and more interesting as we proceed.
This part answers such questions as what a voltage source is and where it comes from as well as how voltage is created. It discusses methods for creating voltage, Ohm's Law, and the formula for calculating equivalent resistance, covering also magnetism, magnetic fields, and protective relaying.
NERC CEH: 2, OPS Topics 2, NERC Standards 0, Simulation 0, EO Credit - No, PE Hours 2
Terminal Objective: The trainee shall describe electron flow and Ohm's Law.
- Enabling objective: The trainee shall describe "what is electricity."
- Enabling objective: The trainee shall describe the major characteristics of an electric circuit as given by Ohm's Law.
- Enabling objective: The trainee shall explain the concepts of energy and power and the relationship between them.
Terminal Objective: The trainee shall describe circuit elements.
- Enabling objective: The trainee shall identify voltage sources.
- Enabling objective: The trainee shall analyze the operation of simple circuits using Ohm's Law.
- Enabling objective: The trainee shall calculate resistance.
Terminal Objective: The trainee shall explain conductors, insulators, and safety related to working with electrical equipment.
- Enabling objective: The trainee shall describe the major properties of magnets and magnetic fields.
- Enabling objective: The trainee shall identify and prevent electrical hazards.
- Enabling objective: The trainee shall describe shock hazards and grounding.
Terminal Objective: The trainee shall describe the fundamental properties of magnetism.
- Enabling objective: The trainee shall identify various types of magnets.
- Enabling objective: The trainee shall explain the properites of magnets.
- Enabling objective: The trainee shall describe the use of electromagnets.
Lesson 1: Electron Flow and Ohm's Law
- What Is Electricity?
- Ohm's Law
Lesson 2: Circuit Elements- Voltage Sources
- Operation of Simple Circuits
- Resistance Calculations
Lesson 3: Conductors, Insulators, and Safety- Properties
- Electrical Hazards
- Shock Hazards and Grounding
Lesson 4: Fundamentals of Magnetism Properties- Types of Magnets
- Properties of Magnets
7101 Basic Electricity - Registered Continuing Education Program RCEP
Got questions? Contact us below or call 877-881-2235
Why Choose 360training.com?
- Fast and easy courses completion
- Get an education faster than at traditional colleges!
- 100% online - No classroom attendance required.
- Unlimited 24x7 online customer support
- Over 500,000+ certified nationwide.