20687-Configuring Windows 8.1
Date of Class:
Last Day To Enroll:
- Course Delivery: Virtual Classroom
- Language: English
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe solutions and features related to managing Windows 8.1 in an enterprise network environment.
- Determine requirements and perform the tasks for installing and deploying Windows 8.1.
- Manage profiles and user state between Windows devices.
- Determine the most appropriate management tools to configure Windows 8.1 settings.
- Configure disks, partitions, volumes, and device drivers in a Windows 8.1 system.
- Configure network connectivity.
- Configure resource connectivity for both domain-joined and non-domain joined PCs and devices.
- Implement Windows 8.1 technologies to secure network connections.
- Configure file, folder, and printer access.
- Implement tools and technologies that can help secure Windows 8.1 PCs and devices.
- Configure and control desktop apps, Windows Store apps, and virtual apps.
- Optimize and maintain Windows 8.1 PCs and devices.
- Configure mobile computer settings and to enable remote access.
- Determine how to recover Windows 8.1 from various failures.
- Describe and configure Client Hyper-V.
Module 1: Windows 8.1 in an Enterprise Network Environment
This module describes solutions and features related to managing Windows 8.1 in an enterprise network environment. Students will identify how to use Windows 8.1 features and related solutions to support intranet, Internet, and non-domain joined Windows 8.1 clients. They will also learn how to identify changes to the Windows 8.1 user interface and perform customizations of the desktop and Start screen
- Managing Windows 8.1 in an Enterprise Environment
- Overview of Windows 8.1
This module describes how to identify hardware, software, and infrastructure readiness for installing and deploying Windows 8.1, and also describes the different options for installing Windows 8.1 on a computer. It also explains how students can customize a Windows 8.1 image file and deploy it using appropriate installation tools. This module also describes the methods students can use to manage volume activation in Windows 8.1.
- Preparing to Install and Deploy Windows 8.1
- Installing Windows 8.1
- Customizing and Preparing an Image for Deployment
- Volume Activation for Windows 8.1
- Lab : Installing Windows 8.1
- Planning to Install Windows 8.1
- Performing a Clean Installation of Windows 8.1
- Lab : Customizing and Capturing a Windows 8.1 Image
- Creating and Configuring an Answer File
- Using an Answer File to Install Windows 8.1 on a Reference Image
- Preparing and Capturing a Windows 8.1 Reference Image
- Lab : Deploying a Windows 8.1 Image
- Using DISM to Deploy a Windows Image
This module describes how to manage profiles and user state between Windows devices. Students will learn about managing user accounts and profiles in Windows 8.1, configuring User State Virtualization using Microsoft UE-V and Windows 8.1, and migrating user state and settings when migrating to Windows 8.1.
- Managing User Accounts and Profiles
- Configuring User State Virtualization
- Migrating User State and Settings
- Lab : Configuring Profiles and User State Virtualization
- Configuring Roaming User Profiles and Folder Redirection
- Implementing and Configuring UE-V
- Lab : Migrating User State by Using USMT
- Creating and Customizing USMT XML Files
- Capturing and Restoring User State to a Target Computer
This module explains how to determine the most appropriate management tools to configure Windows 8.1 settings. It describes tools used for local and remote management of Windows 8.1, and the use of Group Policy and Windows PowerShell in managing Windows 8.1 settings.
- Tools Used to Perform Local and Remote Management of Windows 8.1
- Using Windows PowerShell to Configure and Manage Windows 8.1
- Using Group Policy for Management
- Lab : Using Management Tools to Configure Windows 8.1 Settings
- Managing Windows 8.1 by Using Group Policy
- Implementing Windows PowerShell Remoting
This module explains how to configure, partitions, volumes, and device drivers in a Windows 8.1 system. It also explains how to manage virtual hard disks in the Windows 8.1 file system.
- Managing Disks, Partitions, and Volumes
- Maintaining Disks, Partitions, and Volumes
- Working with Virtual Hard Disks
- Installing and Configuring Device Drivers
- Lab : Managing Disks
- Creating Volumes
- Configuring Disk Quotas
- Managing Virtual Hard Disks
- Lab : Configuring Device Drivers
- Installing Device Drivers
- Managing Device Drivers
This module explains how to configure network connectivity using IPv4 and IPv6. It also describes how to implement automatic IP address allocation and name resolution.
- Configuring IPv4 Network Connectivity
- Configuring IPv6 Network Connectivity
- Implementing Automatic IP Address Allocation
- Implementing Name Resolution
- Implementing Wireless Network Connectivity
- Lab : Configuring a Network Connection
- Enabling Automatic IPv4 Configuration
- Configuring IPv4 Manually
- Lab : Resolving Network Connectivity Issues
- Creating a Simulated Network Connectivity Problem
- Resolving a Network Connectivity Problem
This module explains how to configure resource connectivity for both domain-joined and non-domain joined devices. It also explains how to configure workplace join for non-domain joined computers, and configure work folders.
- Configuring Domain Access for Windows 8.1 Devices
- Managing Non-Domain Devices
- Configuring Workplace Join
- Configuring Work Folders
- Lab : Configuring Resource Access for Non-Domain Joined Devices
- Implementing Workplace Join
- Configuring Work Folders
This module explains how to secure network connections by implementing Windows 8.1 technologies. It explains how to configure Windows firewall, Windows SmartScreen, and Windows Defender. It also explains how to implement connection security rules to secure network traffic.
- Overview of Threats to Network Security
- Configuring Windows Firewall
- Securing Network Traffic
- Guarding Against Malware
- Lab : Configuring Inbound and Outbound Firewall Rules
- Creating an Inbound Firewall Rule
- Creating an Outbound Firewall Rule
- Lab : Configuring IPsec Rules
- Creating and Configuring IPsec Rules
- Lab : Configuring Malware Protection
- Configuring Windows SmartScreen
- Configuring Windows Defender
This module explains how to manage secure file and folder access, create and manage shared folders, and configure file and folder compression. It also explains how to enable and configure SkyDrive access, and create and configure shared printers.
- Managing File and Folder Access
- Managing Shared Folder Access
- Configuring File and Folder Compression
- Overview of SkyDrive
- Managing Printers
- Lab : Configuring File Access
- Creating a Shared Folder for the Marketing Group
- Configuring File and Folder Compression
- Lab : Configuring Printers
- Creating and Sharing a Local Printer
This module explains how to implement tools and technologies that can help secure Windows 8.1 desktops. It describes methods used for authentication and authorization in Windows 8.1. It also describes how to use local Group Policy objects to configure security and other settings, and explains the use of file encryption methods and User Account Control.
- Authentication and Authorization in Windows 8.1
- Implementing Local Policies
- Securing Data with EFS and BitLocker
- Configuring User Account Control
- Lab : Implementing Local Group Policy Objects
- Creating Multiple Local GPOs
- Testing the Application of the Local GPOs
- Lab : Securing Data Using BitLocker
- Protecting Files with BitLocker
- Lab : Configuring User Account Control
- Modifying UAC Prompts
- Testing UAC Prompts
This module explains how to configure and control applications in Windows 8.1. It describes application deployment methods, and explains how to install and manage Windows Store apps. It also explains how to configure and secure Internet Explorer, and configure application restrictions with AppLocker.
- Application Deployment Options in Windows 8.1
- Managing Windows Store Apps
- Configuring Internet Explorer Settings
- Configuring Application Restrictions in the Enterprise
- Lab : Configuring Internet Explorer Security
- Configuring Internet Explorer
- Lab : Configuring AppLocker
- Configuring AppLocker Rules
- Testing the AppLocker Rules
This module explains how to optimize and maintain Windows 8.1 based computers. It also explains how to manage reliability, and configure and manage software updates in Windows 8.1.
- Optimizing the Performance of Windows 8.1
- Managing the Reliability of Windows 8.1
- Managing Software Updates in Windows 8.1
- Lab : Optimizing Windows 8.1 Performance
- Creating a Performance Baseline
- Introducing Additional Workload
- Measuring System Responsiveness Under Load
- Lab : Maintaining Windows Updates
- Configuring Windows Update
This module explains how to configure Windows 8.1 settings that are applicable to mobile computing devices. It also describes DirectAccess, and how it can be used to provide remote access. This module also explains how to enable and configure VPN access, Remote Desktop, and Remote Assistance.
- Configuring Mobile Computers and Device Settings
- Overview of DirectAccess
- Configuring VPN Access
- Configuring Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance
- Lab : Configuring a Power Plan
- Creating and Configuring a New Power Plan
- Lab : Implementing DirectAccess
- Running the Getting Started Wizard
- Validating the DirectAccess Deployment
- Lab : Implementing Remote Desktop
- Configuring a Remote Desktop Connection
This module explains how to recover Windows 8.1 from failures. It describes how to provide for file and folder recovery, and identify when and how to recover Windows 8.1,
- Backing Up and Restoring Files in Windows 8.1
- Recovery Options in Windows 8.1
- Lab : Recovering Windows 8.1
- Exploring Windows 8 Recovery Options
- Introducing a Simulated Problem
- Resolving a Problem
This module describes Hyper-V for Windows 8.1, and explains how to create and configure virtual machines in Hyper-V for Windows 8.1. It also explains the use of virtual hard disks, and the creation and implementation of virtual machine checkpoints.
- Overview of Client Hyper-V
- Creating Virtual Machines
- Managing Virtual Hard Disks
- Managing Checkpoints
- Lab : Configuring Client Hyper-V
- Installing Client Hyper-V
- Creating a Virtual Network and Virtual Machine
Before attending this course, students must have:
- At least two years of experience in the IT field
- Knowledge of networking fundamentals, including Transmission Control Protocol /Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), User Datagram
- Protocol (UDP), and Domain Name System (DNS)
- Knowledge of Microsoft Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) principles and fundamentals of AD DS management
- Understanding of the certificate security and working knowledge of the fundamentals of Active Directory Certificate Services (AD CS)
- Understanding of Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows Server 2012 fundamentals
- Understanding of Microsoft Windows Client essentials; for example, working knowledge of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and/or Windows 8
- Basic understanding of Windows PowerShell syntax
- Basic awareness of Windows deployment tools (Windows ADK components: Windows PE, Windows SIM, VAMT, ImageX, USMT, and DISM concepts and fundamentals) but no actual prerequisite skills with the specific tools are assumed
Subject Matter Expert
Productivity Point Global is led by a team of individuals with world-class experience in professional development skills and leading edge technologies. These established professionals collaborate to drive PPG's business forward through entrepreneurial innovation, strategic partnerships, brand management and sales growth.
Productivity Point Global, previously ExecuTrain of Florida, began in 2003 and evolved out of a desire to increase our outreach both nationally and internationally. Utilizing the highest standard in customer service combined with our subject matter experts and high-end training venues, PPG has carved a niche by consistently expanding our corporate and government client base, originally hosted in the southeastern region of the US.
By consistently setting quality as the benchmark of our value system, PPG combines strategic partnerships and cutting edge technology with our determined efforts to branch out into other regions. PPG's combination of technology and professional skills training, IT outsourcing, and event hosting enables us to place a focused emphasis on the diversified business needs of our clients.
For more info please visit: http://www.productivitypoint.com/
Got questions? Contact us below or call 877-881-2235
Why Choose 360training.com?
- Fast and easy courses completion
- Get an education faster than at traditional colleges!
- 100% online - No classroom attendance required.
- Unlimited 24x7 online customer support
- Over 500,000+ certified nationwide.