10961-Automating Administration with Windows PowerShell 3.0
Date of Class:
Last Day To Enroll:
- Course Delivery: Virtual Classroom
- Language: English
- Understand the basic concepts behind Windows PowerShell
- Work with the Pipeline
- Understand How the Pipeline Works
- Use PSProviders and PSDrives
- Format Output
- Use WMI and CIM
- Prepare for Scripting
- Moving From a Command to a Script to a Module
- Administer Remote Computers
- Put the various Windows PowerShell components together
- Use Background Jobs and Scheduled Jobs
- Use Advanced PowerShell Techniques and Profiles
Module 1: Getting Started with Windows PowerShell
In this module students will learn a bit about PowerShellâs purpose and history, and will learn the basics of using the shell, including the help system, command syntax, command discovery and more.
- Overview and Background
- Finding and Running Commands
- Lab : Configuring Windows PowerShell
- Configure the console application
- Configure the ISE Application
- Lab : Finding and Running Basic Commands
- Finding and Running Basic commands
In this module students will learn to use PowerShellâs pipeline, along with a number of new commands, to start retrieving, manipulating, and displaying data. An emphasis is placed on proper syntax and form.
- Working with the Pipeline
- Exporting, Importing and Converting Data
- Filtering Objects Out of the Pipeline
- Enumerating Objects in the Pipeline
- Lab : Working with the Pipeline
- Retrieve data, manipulate objects and customise the final display
- Lab : Exporting, Importing and Converting Data
- Import, Export and convert data within Windows PowerShell
- Lab : Filtering Objects Out of the Pipeline
- Filter Objects Out of the Pipeline
- Examine Several Commands and Predict Their Output
- Lab : Enumerate Objects in the Pipeline
- Enumerate Objects in the Pipeline and perform specific tasks
In this module students will learn the underlying details of how commands are passed from one command to another in the pipeline. Having seen it in action, theyâll now get to see some of the theory under the hood. The emphasis will be in the ByValue and ByPropertyName techniques, with demonstrations that illustrate effective uses of each. Students will also learn techniques that can be used in lieu of pipeline binding, for when such binding is unavailable or ineffective.
- Passing Data in the Pipeline ByValue
- Passing Data in the Pipeline ByPropertyName
- Lab : Working with Pipeline Parameter Binding
- Examine Several Commands and Predict Whether or Not They Will Work as Written
- Construct new Commands that Utilize Pipeline Parameter Binding
In this module students will learn about PSProviders and PSDrives, and learn to use âItem* commands to manipulate items within a PSDrive.
- Understanding PSProviders and PSDrives
- Using PSDrives
- Lab : PSProviders and PSDrives
- Using PSProviders and PSDrives
In this module students will learn to manipulate command output to create customized on-screen, text file, and hardcopy results
- Using Basic Formatting
- Using Advanced Formatting
- Redirecting Formatted Output
- Lab : Formatting Output
- Use Formatting cmdlets to customize those cmdlets output
In this module students will learn to use Windows Management Instrumentation / Common Information Model (WMI/CIM) to retrieve, and in some cases, modify management information about local and remote computers.
- Understanding WMI/CIM
- Querying Data with WMI/CIM
- Making Changes with WMI/CIM
- Lab : Working with WMI and CIM
- Locate and Query WMI Classes to retrieve Management Information
In this module students will learn about pre-requisite features to writing PowerShell scripts, including variables and PowerShellâs scripting security features.
- Using Variables
- Scripting Security
- Working with Alternate Credentials
- Lab : Working with Security in PowerShell
- Configure Execution Policy
- Create and Use Alternate Credentials
In this module students will learn to take a command that runs well in the console, and turn it into a reusable script. A number of important concepts, such as error handling, will be introduced â but not explored in extreme depth. Students will be taught enough to be âimmediately effectiveâ with these concepts, but not given an exhaustive education. The point is to get them started in an effective fashion using best practices, and to give them a basis for further independent exploration.
- Moving From Command to Script
- Moving From Script to Function to Module
- Implementing Basic Error Handling
- Using Basic Scripting Constructs
- Further Exploration in Scripting
- Lab : Moving From Command to Script
- Convert a Functioning command into a parameterized Script
- Lab : Moving From Script to Function to Module
- Encapsulate a Script into a Function, Turn the script into a Module and add debugging
- Lab : Implementing Basic Error Handling
- Add Basic Error Handling capabilities to a Script
- Lab : Adding Logic to a Script
- Add a function to a Script
In this module students will learn how to configure and use PowerShell Remoting
- Using Basic Remoting
- Using Remote Sessions
- Using Remoting for Delegated Administration
- Lab : Working with Remoting
- Enable Remoting
- Remotely Manage Machines
- Lab : Working with PSSessions
- Import a Module from a Remote Machines
- Establish and Use Connections with several computers
- Lab : Remoting for Delegated Administration
- Create and Register a Custom Session Configuration
- Test the Custom Session Configuration
In this module students will utilize much of what theyâve learned to this point in a practical, from-scratch-exercise to configure a newly-installed Server Core computer.
- Planning the Script
- Lab : Configuring a New Server Core Installation
- Determine Server Cores IP Address
- Add Server Core Computers IP Address to local TrustedHosts list
- Add the Server Core Computer to a Domain and Configure a DHCP reservation
- Add Specified Roles and features to the Server Core Computer
In this module students will learn to create and manage background jobs and scheduled jobs.
- Using Background Jobs
- Using Scheduled Jobs
- Lab : Working with Background Jobs
- Start Background Job
- Manage Existing Jobs
- Lab : Working with Scheduled Jobs
- Create, run and retrieve data using Scheduled Jobs
In this module students will learn several additional techniques and feature of Windows PowerShell.
- Using Advanced PowerShell Techniques
- Creating Profile Scripts
- Lab : Practicing Advanced Techniques
- Practice Advanced Techniques
- Create a Profile Script that defines several parameter defaults
- View outline in Word
Before attending this course, students must have:
- Previous Windows Server and Windows Client management knowledge and hands on experience.
- Experience Installing and Configuring Windows Server into existing enterprise environments, or as standalone installations.
- Knowledge and experience of network adapter configuration, basic Active Directory user administration, and basic disk configuration.
- Knowledge and hands on experience specifically with Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8 would be of benefit but is not essential.
Subject Matter Expert
Productivity Point Global is led by a team of individuals with world-class experience in professional development skills and leading edge technologies. These established professionals collaborate to drive PPG's business forward through entrepreneurial innovation, strategic partnerships, brand management and sales growth.
Productivity Point Global, previously ExecuTrain of Florida, began in 2003 and evolved out of a desire to increase our outreach both nationally and internationally. Utilizing the highest standard in customer service combined with our subject matter experts and high-end training venues, PPG has carved a niche by consistently expanding our corporate and government client base, originally hosted in the southeastern region of the US.
By consistently setting quality as the benchmark of our value system, PPG combines strategic partnerships and cutting edge technology with our determined efforts to branch out into other regions. PPG's combination of technology and professional skills training, IT outsourcing, and event hosting enables us to place a focused emphasis on the diversified business needs of our clients.
For more info please visit: http://www.productivitypoint.com/
Got questions? Contact us below or call 877-881-2235
Why Choose 360training.com?
- Fast and easy courses completion
- Get an education faster than at traditional colleges!
- 100% online - No classroom attendance required.
- Unlimited 24x7 online customer support
- Over 500,000+ certified nationwide.