Complete California Continuing Education Coursework Online
Every 4 years, the California Department of Real Estate (DRE) requires 45 total hours of real estate continuing education (CE) to renew your license from an approved training provider like us.
California First-Renewal CE Requirements
For your first license renewal as a salesperson or as a broker, you have a slightly different set of requirements. You need to shop for a package that specifies "first renewal" to ensure the right balance of hours.
The required distribution of topics include:
- Separate 3-hour courses on five mandatory topics for salespersons (six for brokers):
- California Agency (all first renewals)
- Code of Ethics (all first renewals)
- Trust Funds (all first renewals)
- Fair Housing (all first renewals)
- Risk Management (all first renewals)
- Brokerage Administration and Management (broker first renewal only)
- At least 18 hours on elective Consumer Protection topics
- All remaining elective hours (12 for salespersons, 9 for brokers) dedicated to either Consumer Protection or Consumer Service
California Subsequent Renewal CE Requirements
Required topics are similar for your second and subsequent renewals, but you get more elective hours – and if you're a salesperson, a Management and Supervision topic becomes mandatory.
Subsequent-renewal requirements are the same for both salesperson and broker licensees:
- At least 8 hours total covering six mandatory subjects:
- Trust Fund Handling
- Fair Housing
- Risk Management
- Management and Supervision
- At least 18 hours dedicated to Consumer Protection topics
- The remaining 21 hours committed to either Consumer Protection or Consumer Service