Earth Hour is the world’s largest celebration for our planet and helps raise awareness about energy efficiency and climate change. Organized by the World Wildlife Fund, the event started in Sydney, Australia in 2007. Now, the event takes place in more than 7,000 cities and towns across the world. During Earth Hour, hundreds of millions of people around the world turn off their lights for one hour, thus showing their commitment to helping the planet.
As a business in the food and beverage industry, it is the perfect time to show your commitment to being green and making a bold statement about climate change.
A few of our favorite ideas in which your business can support Earth Hour include:
- Host a candlelit dinner for an hour with special drinks or a menu, candlelit dinners are not just for Valentine’s Day and anniversaries.
- Hand out glow sticks to customers during Earth Hour.
- Hold a candlelit tree planting ceremony in a vacant space in front of your building.
- Donate 15 percent back to a green or eco-friendly charity or the WWF.
- Host an ‘Earth Hour’ Cocktail.
- Turn off all non-essential lights.
- Hold a blind taste testing for beer, wine, and cheese.
- Roast some S’mores and tell ghost stories.
- Host a ‘Murder Mystery’ dinner.
- During ‘Earth Hour’ have a sustainable wine, cheese, and food menu.
- Play live music with no instruments plugged-in.
Earth Hour is a visual reminder to help us remember that things we do every day, even the small ones, will make a better future, and together we can make change happen. So this year, join millions of people around the world as they turn off their lights for one hour on Saturday, March 29th at 8:30pm, and show your support and commitment to a better future.