What is an Environmental Management System?
EMS or Environmental Management System aids organizations in meeting their environmental goals. It does this by providing a framework involving evaluations, reviews and improvements pertaining to a company’s environmental impact. The procedures allow business owners to discover opportunities that can help them reduce their carbon footprint.
However, one size does not fit all when it comes to an EMS. Each organization has its own objectives and goals and their Environmental Management System is created without compromising those. This helps them identify regulatory demands without wasting time, money and resources.
This way companies can avoid non-compliance issues which can otherwise result in hefty fines and improve safe work practices at the same time. This system can also help them address issues that aren’t regulated such as energy conservation and make employees more responsible when it comes to resources.
The basic characteristics of an EMS include:
- Analysis of a business’s environmental impact
- Legal requirements
- A review of the environmental goal of a business
- Creating and establishing programs that can meet business and environmental goals
- Monitoring and measuring progress in acquiring goals
- Ensuring that all workers are aware of environmental impacts of their work
- Reviewing the progress of the established EMS and making improvements as and when needed.
What is ISO 14001?
ISO 14001 are global standards that are required for effective EMS. It offers businesses a workable framework that they can follow rather than creating environmental standards. It is a voluntary standard that organizations can aspire to and certify for. Doing so will allow them to other management system standards such as the ISO 9001 which can help them accomplish more organizational goals.
The ISO or the International Organization of Standardization managed environmental impacts of organizations by giving them a framework they can use to reduce their carbon footprint. It can also be used with a PDCA or a plan-do-check-act to ensure improvements are consistent and regular.
The ISO 14001: 2015 can be utilized by any business that wants to maintain an environmental management system and to follow policies that can help it be more environment friendly. The requirements are applicable to any such system but the extent is determined by industry, products, services and location.
If you incorporate ISO 14001: 2015 into your business, you will be able to experience the following benefits:
- Reduced costs
- Better resource management
- Providing assurance that environmental standards are being fulfilled
- Competitive advantage in supply chains
- Better and more business opportunities
- Fulfill legal obligations easily
- Increase investor and stakeholder trust
- Manage environmental obligations easily
In other words ISO 14001: 2015 can help you meet your environmental obligations and reduce organizational impact on the environment. It can also be used to improve operations and create methods that can prevent pollution.
ISO 14001:2015 Introduction
Make sure that your business does it part for the environment and meets legal requirements by signing up for 360Training’s ISO 14001:2015 Introduction training course. The course is designed to help students understand everything they need to know about EMS as well as ISO 14001:2015 standards as per Annex SL.
Once the course is complete, students will be able to:
- Understand the purpose of Annexure SL
- Understand the application process of Annexure SL
- Understand how Annexure SL works as a framework
- Define the PDCA cycle and process involved in the standard
- Understand the core structure of the Annexure SL
- Understand the benefits and the application process of Annex SL and the structure for management system standards
- Determine and understand organizational context
- Understand organizational scope
- Determine the need for context and the environment in which the business is operating
- Determine techniques that can help them examine conformance according to organizational context.
In addition, students will also be made aware of changes and requirements when it comes to leadership, support improvement and planning.
While there are no prerequisites needed to take the course, students who have experience and knowledge of EMS will find it easier to manage. Since it can be taken online, you can schedule the classes according to your leisure. Sign up today.