Construction contractors looking for federal work contracts must know about the US Army Corps of Engineers’ (USACE) Safety and Health Requirements Manual, EM 385-1-1. Those who accept a contract and put people on the site that are not familiar with the regulations could find themselves in trouble. If any employee working on a site under EM 385 authority is unaware of compliance requirements, your project manager or contracting officer might consider that nonconformance as a contract violation. It could lead to work stoppage until such deficiency is corrected. In most cases, you would be penalized because of delayed completion of your job following your contract. Don’t waste time and money, ensure you do things right the first time by knowing the requirements for the team.
EM 385-1-1 Requirements
Strict compliance with the guidelines of EM 385-1-1 is necessary as it affects all government contractors. Several contract managers and agencies require fulfillment of this manual’s requirements as well.
These requirements (from the 2014 Edition) are typically implemented through the conditions of the contract and the agency representatives that enforce them. All employees and contractors who are under the provisions of EM 385-1-1 should follow the environmental, health, and safety regulations defined in the manual.
EM 385 requires a comprehensive accident prevention plan, not a generic document with vague safety rules that’s become common in today’s construction companies. It should not just be about wearing hard hats, safety glasses, and long-sleeved shirts. Rather, it should be detailed and specific to the site and elaborate on the processes which will be implemented by management towards preventing accidents and hazards.
EM385 Training Benefits
Training for EM385 is extremely beneficial for supervisors, managers, construction personnel, and contractors working under US military contracts. More so because it’s their duty to educate the workers who also need to be compliant with the regulations and standards based off of EM385.
By accomplishing the training course for EM385, organizations will enjoy the following benefits:
- Guaranteed compliance with the regulations and standards of the USACE.
- It will become much easier to work and achieve government contracts, which typically pay more than private contracts.
- Increasing the effectiveness and efficiency of the project.
- Making sure that workers are safe, which increases the efficiency of the company as well.
- Reducing costs that may arise from injuries, lack of training, and turnovers of employees.
- Building a safety culture that can have a positive impact on the bottom line of the company.
It’s surely a must for companies to put their employees and management staff through an EM 385 training program. On the other hand, individuals who will be enrolling themselves in the program will also gain significant career advantages once certified:
- EM385 training can help enhance their marketability as professionals in their field.
- They get to lend a hand for working toward achieving safe employment as a government worker, public member, or with a USACE-contracted company.
- They’ll easily meet the requirements of the training as set forth by different companies in the United States.
- They’ll have a clear understanding the safety and health regulations to make sure you maintain your well-being on the job or project.
- Workers know the competition is fierce as companies have raised their expectations before their hire a potential employee. Becoming certified is one of the best ways to stay competitive, especially for those who want to work in the safety industry and the government.
As an employee, even if you have specialized skills, employers don’t always have the time to figure out what they are and whether or not you really have them. However, a certificate should serve as a key to help you bridge those gaps between you and the employer. When you get your certificate after your training, you can use it to show your employer that your skills are updated and current. Plus, certifications can actually lead to salary increase, including in jobs where becoming certified is not required. It shows initiative and allows you to distinguish yourself from others. You can easily enroll in online, self-paced training for EM 385 according to your goals. Courses range from 24-Hour HAZWOPER, and 40-hour HAZWOPER, as well as an 8-hour refresher to the 40-hour course. Enroll today and see how you can expand your opportunities!