How Many Escape Routes Must A Workplace Have?
Escape MeasuresEscape measures should be based on the time it takes for people to evacuate the premises. This should be an evaluation of the time it takes for an emergency to start till it makes escape impossible or unsafe. To ensure a safe escape each time, the route needs to be protected via insulated construction methods. It might also be necessary to provide sleeping accommodations and other care facilities in case workers are trapped within the premises for several days. Installing an air pressure system that prevents smoke from entering those areas is also a good idea. When examining the effectiveness of an escape route the following should be taken into account:
- The ability to escape without aid
- The discoveries made in the risk assessment exam
- The workplace size along with its contents, how it is constructed, layout and the size of the available potential escape routes.
- The total number of people that may be present in the space
- All escape routes must be cleared of fire resistant materials especially if it connects to multiple stories.
- Only those opening should be accessible which allow access to the exit or the exit discharge directly.
- All openings should be protected from closing in on themselves to prevent blockades.
OSHA 30 Hour General Industry OutreachWorkplace safety is everyone’s concern and should be a part of company policy. OSHA 30-Hour Outreach training program by 360Training is designed to provide students a comprehensive take on safety training and is appropriate for anyone involved in the general industry.
OSHA 30 Hour General Industry Outreach training program by 360Training is designed to provide students a comprehensive take on safety training and is appropriate for anyone involved in the general industry. Click To TweetThe program has been specifically designed for foremen, safety inspectors, supervisors and safety directors who are responsible for maintaining health and safety standards. It offers everything they need to be aware of as per OSHA regulations and the rights of workers. Students will also learn how to recognize hazards, how to avoid them and how to prevent them in case of emergencies. Sign up for the course today and ensure workers feel and remain safe on work sites irrespective of emergencies. The course can be taken completely online so you don’t have to ruin your busy schedule.