Safety Tips for Young Workers
Young workers are usually inexperienced whether they are working full time or part time and whether they are working as apprentices, trainees or contractors. Employers need to be vigilant when it comes to their training which should follow OSHA standards. This includes:
- Training workers on proper sand safe work practices such as how to identify hazards.
- Establishing mentorship programs so that experienced workers can teach younger ones the ropes
- Complying with state and federal child labor laws
- Ensuring inexperienced workers don’t operate heavy machinery
- Teaching them what they should in case of injuries.
- Creating a positive work culture that encourages queries
- Training young workers on the tasks they can do according to their age and experience level.