How Do I Get My Forklift Operator OSHA Certification?
Contrary to popular belief, just because someone can drive a truck does not mean he/she ca drive a forklift. So before you think about getting behind the wheel of a forklift, you need to consider taking an accredited forklift operator training. According to the new OSHA guidelines, employers and business owners in the construction business have to ensure that forklift drivers are certified to operate heavy machinery. The certification process should also contain a verification process via a test to ensure students are competent enough to operate the forklift on site. get OSHA certification to operate a forklift:
- First look for a training facility or online class that can teach you an OSHA compliant course. You can also opt for an OSHA Outreach Training program that can teach you how to train and certify operators yourself.
- If you decide to become a trainer or certify operators yourself, you have to complete an OSHA trainer course in the general or construction industry first. The course can take a week to complete and are available in official OSHA training centers that are spread across the country.
- If you are a new operator, you can expect to take 8 hours of training while experienced ones need 4 hours of training. The first one focuses on the health and safety issues new operators need to be aware of. This also includes OSHA regulations and penalties they can incur if they violate them.
- You will be trained to navigate through obstacle courses and how to use the controls to lift and lower materials with the forklift. This includes an overview of safety regulations.
- Once you complete the test with a passing grade you will prove that you can meet training requirements and can be certified as a forklift operator. You will get your certification card then which can last for 3 years. While it is not necessary, carrying around the card will be a good idea especially if you are applying for a new job at a construction site. Employers may ask to see it as proof that they can trust you to operate heavy machinery like the forklift.