Who Are the Employees Covered by Medical Surveillance
- Any biological agent that may be anticipated to cause death, disease, behavioral abnormalities, cancer, genetic mutation, physiological malfunctions, physiological malfunctions in reproduction, physical deformations
- A chemical or pathogen which can cause acute or chronic health effects, such as, acute toxicity, aspiration toxicity, or simple asphyxiate.
The government issues guidelines for employers to provide a safety and health program that will serve as an emergency response. The said program will also extend, upon evaluation, certain benefits to the employees who are directly working in such hazardous conditions. Click To TweetThe government issues guidelines for employers to provide a safety and health program that will serve as an emergency response. The said program will also extend, upon evaluation, certain benefits to the employees who are directly working in such hazardous conditions. The government has outlined the types of employees the employers must include in the mandatory safety and health program. The types of employees who can benefit from free of cost medical examination and treatment have been defined thoroughly. Below are some of the criteria:
- Employees who have been or may be exposed to hazardous materials or health hazards regardless if they have been exposed to the established permissible exposure limit, and regardless if the employee has used respirators for 30 days or more, or not.
- Employees who have been using a respirator for 30 days or more
- Employees who get injured, fall ill, or display signs or symptoms due to overexposure to hazardous substances or health hazards
- All members of HAZMAT teams
- At least once every twelve months unless the physician attending the employee, in his professional capability, believes a longer period of interval is appropriate
- More frequently if the physician attending the employee believes the frequency of examination is needed
- If the physician attending the employee believes that additional examinations or consultations for the employee are needed
- After the termination of employment of the employee
- If the employee declares that he/she has developed signs or symptoms that indicate a possibility of being overexposed to hazardous material. In the said case, the treatment shall be provided immediately.
- If he/she has been involved in an accident while working in a hazardous environment. The employee will be granted treatment immediately.