About this Course
The objectives of this DOT Hazmat: Function Specific - Packaging course address the Federal Department of Transportation training requirements for 49 CFR 172.704(a)(2)(i).
Per 49 CFR 172.704(a)(2)(i)
Function-specific Training. (i) Each hazmat employee must be provided function-specific training concerning the requirements of this subchapter, or exemptions or special permits issued under subchapter A of this chapter, that are specifically applicable to the functions the employee performs.
Who Should take this course?
This DOT Hazmat: Function Specific - Packaging course was developed to help you select appropriate packaging for hazardous materials before shipment. This course expands upon the knowledge of packaging received as part of Basic General Awareness and is included in Advanced General Awareness training.
Workers involved in the transportation, manufacture, or use of hazardous materials who require more than basic knowledge of Packaging should receive this training.
At the end of this course, students should be able to:
- Distinguish between a "package" and "packaging" according to the HMR;
- Identify the shipper's package and packaging responsibilities, and any
- exceptions to these requirements;
- Describe special types of packaging, including generic and specific packaging
- requirements and exceptions;
- Understand the packaging requirements and exceptions related to limited
- quantities, agriculture products, materials of trade, and lab packs; and
- Identify packaging for damaged or leaking hazardous materials packages.
Section 1 - Course Overview
Section 2 - General Packaging Requirements
Section 3 - Air Shipments
Section 4 - Packaging Exceptions
Section 5 - Leaking or Damaged Packages, Hazardous Waste, and Overpacks
Section 6 - DOD Packaging
Buying for a Team or Group?
Interested in bulk discounts and flexible billing options on our expansive library of Environmental Health & Safety courses? Connect with our Corporate Sales Executives today!
Upgrade your LMS to Include Manager-Level Access
- Assign Courses
- Tracking Employee Progress
- Maintain and Organize Records