About this Course
Are you an Alcohol Server or Manager in the State of California?
Beginning July 1, 2022, Assembly Bills 1221 and 82 will go into effect. These bills require that on-premises alcohol servers and managers have a valid RBS certification from an ABC-approved training provider and pass the online ABC-administered RBS exam by August 31, 2022.
All ABC On-Premises Licensees have sixty (60) days from July 1, 2022, to have their staff trained and certified by an approved RBS training provider. This includes the successful completion of the ABC administered RBS exam.
Going forward, new employees will be required to complete an ABC-approved training program and pass the online ABC-administered RBS exam within sixty (60) days of the hire date.
Enforcement of AB-1221 will begin on September 1, 2022.
Who Should Take RBS Training?
This training is meant for servers, bartenders, managers, security staff, daily license designees, and anyone who performs any of the following duties:
- Checking patron identification
- Taking alcoholic beverage orders
- Pouring alcoholic beverages for patrons
- Delivering alcoholic beverages to patrons
Social drinking is a prevailing custom in society and generates its own special considerations that servers of alcohol are called upon to handle. As a server, you perform a variety of functions in addition to serving food and alcohol. You must:
- Relate to guests' different personalities
- Provide consistently good service
- Maintain a friendly and polite manner
- Listen to guests’ opinions and complaints
- Resolve problems while maintaining your establishment's "image"
This course is designed to build on your existing skills as a server of alcohol to prevent underage and third-party sales, drunk driving, and sales to intoxicated customers while allowing you to maintain control in difficult situations. You will learn strategies and skills that can help you balance providing excellent customer service with ensuring only legal alcohol sales.
California RBS Certification for On-Premise
California RBS consists of three main areas of focus: Information, Skills Training, and Practice/Rehearsal. In addition to meeting strict educational requirements, TIPS training covers mitigation strategies that result in increased professionalism and improved customer service among staff.
Once you complete the lessons and quizzes and pass the final exam with a score of at least 70%, you'll get an official TIPS California Certificate that you can print right away! You will then be directed to the California RBS Training Portal to complete the RBS exam. Please see FAQs for more information.
Need food handler training? Bundle your RBS alcohol and ANSI food handler training together!
TIPS is a 360training company.
What You Get
CA RBS Exam Preparation
100% online, available 24/7
At your own pace, save progress as you go
Content is updated and current
This course consists of 6 modules that cover the following topics:
- Responsible Beverage Service Training
- Societal Impact of Alcohol
- Impact of Alcohol on the Body
- State Laws & Regulations
- Intervention Techniques
- Management Policies
What You’ll Learn
- Describe the Responsible Beverage Service Training Program.
- Explain who must be trained under AB 1221.
- Define “Alcohol Server” under AB 1221.
- Explain the positive and negative Impact of Alcohol Sales
- Explain Alcohol-Related Crimes, Neighborhood Quality of Life, Public Health Risks, and Alcohol Server’s Responsibility to the Community.
- Describe how alcohol is absorbed into the body.
- Recognize signs of intoxication in your guests.
- Dispel common myths about sobering up.
- Define the four behavioral cues and identify example behaviors that relate to each behavioral cue.
- Recognize behavioral cues in your guests.
- Explain the three types of illegal alcohol sales and the penalties those sales can incur.
- Name and explain the categories of crimes in California.
- Define and differentiate between the three types of liability for licensees, employees, and contractors.
- Explain the laws related to the service of alcohol for consumption.
- Describe the T.R.AC.E. program.
- Explain the role of law enforcement and how to follow safe-service guidelines designed to help you avoid illegal alcohol sales.
- Explain how to Interact with law enforcement, discrimination, hiring practices, lawful hours of operation, and prohibited promotions.
How do I Get a Copy of My California RBS Certification?
While there will not be a physical or downloadable RBS certificate issued, after you have completed your training and passed the certification exam, you will be issued a certification number that is valid for three years. The alcohol server certification number can be found in your dashboard in the training history at the bottom of the page of the RBS Portal. Your employer will be able to verify that you are RBS certified using the certification number and your name.
How Much Does it Cost to Take the California RBS Alcohol Exam?
The cost of the exam is $3.00; it is included as part of your registration into the RBS portal. Once TIPS has reported that your training has been completed, your exam access will be granted, and you will have three (3) attempts to pass the exam with a 70% or better before having to retake the training and paying $3.00 for the exam. The exam is currently offered in English and Spanish.
How do I Get My California RBS Certification?
- Begin by creating an account on the California RBS Portal to register.
- Once you enter the portal, complete the online application for RBS certification and pay the $3.00 application fee.
- Be sure to write down your ID number found in the Server Certificate Details section. This ID number is needed to register for any course.
- Visit 360training and select TIPS California Responsible Beverage Server training course.
- Complete your purchase of the TIPS California Responsible Beverage Server training course using the ID number provided during your California RBS registration.
- Complete your TIPS California RBS training course and TIPS exam. You can complete this course in 2-4 hours.
- 360training will notify the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) of your course completion within 24 hours.
- Within 48 hours, you will receive an email notification from California RBS indicating that you may begin your state exam. The California ABC administered exam must be completed within 30 days of the date you completed your TIPS course. Complete the exam with a score of 70% or above to receive your certification.
How Long Does California RBS Certification Last?
Certification lasts for three years after a student has successfully taken the course and passed the RBS exam.
|Name:||California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control|
|Address:||3927 Lennane Drive, Suite 100|
Buying for a Team or Group?
Interested in bulk discounts and flexible billing options on our expansive library of Food & Beverage courses? Connect with our Corporate Sales Executives today!
Upgrade your LMS to Include Manager-Level Access
- Assign Courses
- Tracking Employee Progress
- Maintain and Organize Records