About this Course
Our Approved Florida Food First course teaches food workers in Florida about food safety best practices. You’ll learn accurate information and get practical examples of key food safety issues. This approved food worker training program meets all requirements of Chapter 509 of the Florida Administrative Code.
How Do I Get a Food Handler Card in Florida?
Acquiring a food handler card in Florida is quick and easy. Just complete a short training course and instantly print your certificate of completion.
Take a copy of your certificate to your employer or local health authority as proof of training. We also recommend you keep one for your files. Enroll now to get your food handler card in Florida!
Does Florida Require Food Handler Training?
Section 509.049 of the Florida Administrative Code states that food workers need to complete a food safety training certificate program.
Your training should include concepts emphasized by the Florida Food Safety and Sanitation Program, such as:
- Proper handwashing protocols
- Safe methods for thawing, cooking, cooling, holding, and storing foods
- Handling techniques to avoid contamination
- Safe cleaning and sanitizing methods
- Causes and symptoms of foodborne illnesses
- Proper insect and pest control
- And more
We also always recommend double-checking with your city, county, or employer to ensure you comply with local regulations.
What You Get
Certificate of completion
100% online, available 24/7
At your own pace, save progress as you go
Content is updated and current
- Lesson 1: Introduction to Food Safety
- Lesson 2: Biohazards, Foodborne Diseases, and Food Spoilage
- Lesson 3: Contamination
- Lesson 4: Food and Temperature Control
- Lesson 5: Preventing Food Contamination
- Lesson 6: Food Receiving and Storage
- Lesson 7: Sanitizing
- Lesson 8: Pest Control
What You’ll Learn
- Define food safety and its goals, benefits, impact, proper adherence, critical control points, and recall requirements.
- Recall biohazards, symptoms and causes of common foodborne illnesses, identify spoilage signs and causes.
- Identify three types of contamination, explain how food becomes hazardous, and recognize how to preserve food.
- Understand time, temperature, and control with relation to food handling and how to properly take the temperature of food and maintain the temperature while storing food.
- Discuss personal hygiene importance and practices, and food handling practices and techniques.
- Understand procedures for acquiring and receiving food, considerations for meat and poultry, and proper food storage.
- Identify both proper and improper cleaning and sanitizing procedures and implications.
- Identify signs and eradication procedures for pest infestation.
Name: Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulation, Division of Hotels & Restaurants
Website URL: https://www.myfloridalicense.com/
Email Address: Call.Center@dbpr.state.fl.us
Address: 1940 N. Monroe St.
Learn2Serve by 360training has partnered with Environ Health Associates, Inc., the approved vendor for the program.
The certificate of completion will be available for download upon successful completion and passing of the final exam. The certificate may be presented to any authorized agent of the state of Florida Division of Hotels and Restaurants who asks to see it. Additionally, we have notified the state by reporting to the state-maintained database.
When do I need to complete food handler training?
According to the Florida Administrative Code, you need to complete your food handler training course within 60 days after employment.
How quickly will I get my certificate of completion?
Once you finish your course and pass any required exams, you can print your certificate of completion right away.
Can I take an online course to get my food handler certification?
Yes, and online food handler courses are quick and convenient. You can take the course from any device and at your own pace.
Our food handler certification course at Learn2Serve by 360training, follows the highest training standards in the industry and is approved in the state of Florida through our partnership with Environ Health Associates, Inc.
How long does a Florida food handlers permit last?
Regular refreshers are the key to compliance, which is why renewing your Florida food handler permit is required every 3 years.
Why should I take Florida food handler training?
Food managers in Florida are responsible for ensuring their employees comply with food safety regulations. If you're certified in food handling, prospective employers know hiring you is a smarter bet than someone who isn't. Food handler training makes you more employable.
More importantly, food safety regulations exist because food handlers play an enormous role in public health. For example, an estimated 70% of reported food poisoning (norovirus) outbreaks can be traced back to contagious food handlers, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Florida has its share of foodborne illness. In 2017, the CDC reported a total of 65 foodborne disease outbreaks in Florida. That's similar to the 66 outbreaks reported in 2016 but lower than the 73 reported in 2015.
Ultimately, we want the number of outbreaks to keep going down. If you practice what you learn in food handler training, you can help make that happen.
What jobs can I get in Florida with my food handler license?
In Florida, you can work at a variety of establishments if you have your food handler card. Some examples include:
- Restaurants with table service
- Fast food and counter-service establishments
- Coffee shops, bakeries, and delis
- Catering services
- Grocery stores
- And many more
And within each establishment there are numerous jobs because the food and beverage industry in Florida is growing extremely fast.
According to the Florida Restaurant & Lodging Association (FRLA), in 2019 there were 1,096,000 restaurant and food service jobs, which translates to 12% of total employment. More importantly, that number is projected to grow 14.1% by the year 2029. That's nearly triple the average national job growth (5%).
If you’re looking to get a job in the food and beverage industry in Florida, here are some good options, along with how much money you can expect to make based on wage data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics:
|Average Hourly Wage
|Average Yearly Wage
|Fast Food Cook
Another thing to note is that you’ll need your Florida food handler card to get any of these jobs. And if you already have it before you apply, you’ll be way ahead of the competition!
Where can I find more information about food safety in Florida?
Florida Department of Health: The state's Food Safety and Sanitation Program is housed in the DOH. You can view specific hygiene codes and standards here.
Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services: The FDACS has great food safety resources, including information on foodborne illnesses and product recalls.
Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulations: You can find all the licensing information you need from the DBPR's Division of Hotels and Restaurants.
When does my course expire?
Your course will expire one (1) year after you purchase it (the date you submit payment), unless the course itself indicates otherwise.
What if I need a refund for my course?
If for some reason you are not happy and would like a refund, send us a request within 72 hours of purchase. Here are the eligibility requirements you must meet:
- Your purchase was made no more than 72 hours prior to your refund request.
- You have NOT:
- Attempted any portion of a test or exam.
- Requested or been issued a certificate of completion.
- Completed 50% or more of the purchased course.
If you meet all of these criteria, submit your refund request in writing via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a proof-of-purchase receipt and an explanation for why you are requesting a refund.
You can find more information about our refund policy here.
What can I do if I lose my certificate of completion?
If you lose your certificate of completion and need a new one, you can contact customer service at (877) 881-2235 or email@example.com.
Buying for a Team or Group?
Interested in bulk discounts and flexible billing options on our expansive library of Food & Beverage courses? Connect with our Corporate Sales Executives today!
Upgrade your LMS to Include Manager-Level Access
- Assign Courses
- Tracking Employee Progress
- Maintain and Organize Records