About this Course
The objectives of this course are to meet the Federal OSHA HAZWOPER training requirements of 29 CFR 1910.120(q)(6)(ii) for general industry, and 29 CFR 1926.65(q)(6)(ii) for construction. This course is also intended to meet any HAZWOPER training requirements for the EPA and State OSHA regulations.
Per 29 CFR 1910.120(e)(3)(i) and 1926.65(e)(3)(i)
First responders at the operations level are individuals who respond to releases or potential releases of hazardous substances as part of the initial response to the site to protect nearby persons, property, or the environment from the effects of the release.
First responders are trained to respond defensively without actually trying to stop the release. Their function is to contain the release from a safe distance, keep it from spreading, and prevent exposure. At the operational level, they shall have received at least eight hours of training or have had sufficient experience to objectively demonstrate competency in the following areas in addition to those listed for the awareness level, and the employer shall so certify:
- Knowledge of the basic hazard and risk assessment techniques.
- Knowledge in the selection and use of proper personal protective equipment provided to the first responder operational level.
- An understanding of basic hazardous materials terms.
- Ability to perform basic control, containment, and/or confinement operations within the capabilities of the resources and personal protective equipment available with their unit.
- Ability to implement basic decontamination procedures; and
- An understanding of the relevant standard operating and termination procedures.
- Introduction to Hazmat Emergency Response
- Hazmat Emergency Responders
- Hazardous Materials, Substances and Wastes
- Recognizing Hazmat Incidents
- Module 1 Exam
- Emergency Response Guidebook (ERG) Overview
- ERG White Pages Qui
- ERG Yellow-bordered & Blue-bordered Pages
- ERG Yellow-bordered & Blue-bordered Pages Quiz
- ERG Orange-bordered Pages
- ERG Orange-bordered Pages Quiz
- ERG Green-bordered Pages
- ERG Green-bordered Pages Quiz
- Module 2 Exam
- Managing Hazmat Incidents for the FRO
- Basic Actions for all First Responders
- Module 3 Exam
- Road Trailer Identification
- Rail and Other Modes of Transportation
- Other Hazmat Container Identification
- Module 4 Exam
- Introduction to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Fire Control on a Hazmat Incident
- FRO Entry Operations at a Hazmat Incident
- Decontamination and the FRO
- FRO Mitigation
- Summary and Conclusion Module 5 Exam
Buying for a Team or Group?
Interested in bulk discounts and flexible billing options on our expansive library of Environmental Health & Safety courses? Connect with our Corporate Sales Executives today!
Upgrade your LMS to Include Manager-Level Access
- Assign Courses
- Tracking Employee Progress
- Maintain and Organize Records