About this Course
The objective of this Hazardous Materials First Responder Operations course is to address the Federal OSHA HAZWOPER training requirements for 29 CFR 1910.120(q)(6)(ii) for general industry and 29 CFR 1926.65(q)(6)(ii) for construction. This course is also intended to meet any HAZWOPER training requirements for the EPA and State OSHA regulations.
Per 29 CFR 1910.120(q)(6)(i) and 29 CFR 1926.65(q)(6)(i)
First responder operations level. First responders at the operations level are individuals who respond to releases or potential releases of hazardous substances as part of the initial response to the site for the purpose of protecting nearby persons, property, or the environment from the effects of the release. They are trained to respond in a defensive fashion without trying to stop the release. Their function is to contain the release from a safe distance, keep it from spreading, and prevent exposures. First responders at the operational level shall have received at least eight hours of training or have had sufficient experience to objectively demonstrate competency in the following areas in addition to those listed for the awareness level and the employer shall so certify:
- Knowledge of the basic hazard and risk assessment techniques.
- Knowledge in selection and use of proper personal protective equipment provided to the first responder operational level.
- An understanding of basic hazardous materials terms.
- Ability to perform basic control, containment, and/or confinement operations within the capabilities of the resources and personal protective equipment available with their unit.
- Ability to implement basic decontamination procedures and
- An understanding of the relevant standard operating and termination procedures.
- Course Overview
- Introduction to Hazmat Emergency Response
- Hazmat Emergency Responders
- Hazardous Materials, Substances, and Wastes
- Recognizing Hazmat Incidents
- Emergency Response Guidebook (ERG) Overview
- ERG White Pages Quiz
- ERG Yellow-bordered & Blue-bordered Pages
- ERG Yellow-bordered & Blue-bordered Pages Quiz
- ERG Orange-bordered Pages
- ERG Orange-bordered Pages Quiz
- ERG Green-bordered Pages
- ERG Green-bordered Pages Quiz
- Managing Hazmat Incidents
- Basic Actions for All First Responders
- Summary and Conclusion
Buying for a Team or Group?
Interested in bulk discounts and flexible billing options on our expansive library of Environmental Health & Safety courses? Connect with our Corporate Sales Executives today!
Upgrade your LMS to Include Manager-Level Access
- Assign Courses
- Tracking Employee Progress
- Maintain and Organize Records