About this Course
This course introduces HIPAA compliance targeted at the needs of dental office staff.
We'll discuss what you need to know about the federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), including the HIPAA Privacy Rule, the HIPAA Security Rule, and the Enforcement Rule that applies to HIPAA violations.
You'll also discover how the 2021/2022 updates for the ONC 21st Cures Act Final Rule and the CMS Final Rule changed the game.
You'll get a certificate of completion to print for your records, as well as 0.2 IACET CEUs.
What You Get
Certificate of Completion
100% online, available 24/7
At your own pace, save progress as you go
Content is updated and current
- Introduction to HIPAA
- What is Portability?
- What is Accountability?
- HITECH Act and Omnibus Final Rule
- Who Must Abide by HIPAA Rules?
- HIPAA Covered Entity
- Business Associates
- Expanded Definition of Business Associates
- Business Associates Agreements
- Things to Consider within a Dental Practice
- HIPAA Privacy Rule
- Permitted Use and Disclosure of PHI
- Authorized Uses and Disclosures Under the Privacy Rule
- Incidental Use and Disclosure of PHI
- “Minimum Necessary” Principal
- Notice of Privacy Practices
- Individual Access of Protected Health Information
- ONC Cures Act Final Rule (*Includes 2021/2022 Update*)
- CMS Final Rule (*Includes 2021/2022 Update*)
- More Individual Rights Under Privacy Rule
- Administrative Requirements for Privacy Rule Compliance
- State Law and the Privacy Rule
- Personal Representatives and Minors Under the Privacy Rule
- Privacy Rule and Decedents
- Privacy Considerations within the Dental Office
- HIPAA Security Rule
- What Security Measures Must be Used?
- Administrative Safeguards
- Physical Safeguards
- Technical Safeguards
- Privacy and Security for Mobile Devices
- Security Considerations within the Dental Office
- Transaction and Code Set Standards
- Unique Identifiers Rule
- HIPAA Breach Notification Rule
- Breach Notification and Risk Assessment
- Breach Notification Rule – Exceptions
- Breach Notification Rule and Unsecured PHI
- Breach Notification Requirements – Media
- Breach Notification Requirements – Individual
- Breach Notification Requirements – Secretary
- Burden of Proof for Breach Notification
- HIPAA Enforcement Rule
- Enforcement Rule and Civil Money Penalties
- Defenses and Waivers for CMP
- Recent Updates to HIPAA – Opioid Crisis
- Recent Updates to HIPAA – Cloud Computing
- Real Life Examples
What You'll Learn
- What HIPAA legislation is for
- How to comply with changes to HIPAA implemented by the Omnibus Final Rule
- Key elements of the Privacy, Security, and Enforcement Rule
- The Breach Notification process
- The Unique Identifiers and Transaction and Code Set Rules
- How to apply these rules to your daily practice in a Dental Office setting
When Does My Course Expire?
Your course will expire one (1) year after you purchase it (the date you submit payment), unless the course itself indicates otherwise.
How Quickly Will I Get My Certificate of Completion?
Once you finish your course and pass any required exams, you can print your certificate of completion right away.
What Can I Do If I Lose My Certificate?
If you lose your certificate of completion and need a new one, you can contact customer service at (877) 881-2235 or email@example.com.
What If I Need a Refund for My Training Course?
If for some reason you are not happy and would like a refund, send us a request within 72 hours of purchase. Here are the eligibility requirements you must meet:
- Your purchase was made no more than 72 hours prior to your refund request.
- You have NOT
- Attempted any portion of a test or exam.
- Requested or been issued a certificate of completion.
- Completed 50% or more of the purchased course.
If you meet all of these criteria, submit your refund request in writing via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a proof-of-purchase receipt and an explanation for why you are requesting a refund.
You can find more information about our refund policy here.
Buying for a Team or Group?
Interested in bulk discounts and flexible billing options on our expansive library of Healthcare courses? Connect with our Corporate Sales Executives today!
Upgrade your LMS to Include Manager-Level Access
- Assign Courses
- Tracking Employee Progress
- Maintain and Organize Records