About this Course
This course offers a HIPAA refresher and update for medical office staff who don't directly provide medical treatment to patients. It's customised for the needs of front desk staff, janitorial staff, messaging services personnel, billing specialists, and similar positions.
We'll recap what you need to know to comply with the federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), then examine how the 2021/2022 updates for the ONC 21st Cures Act Final Rule and the CMS Final Rule changed things.
If you've never taken our HIPAA for Medical Office Staff course, you should complete that course first. This is designed to be a refresher/update only.
We'll provide a certificate of completion for your records, and this program is worth 0.1 IACET-approved CEUs.
What You Get
Certificate of Completion
100% online, available 24/7
At your own pace, save progress as you go
Content is updated and current
- HIPAA: Why Do I Need a Refresher?
- Who Must Abide by HIPAA?
- HIPAA Privacy Rule
- “Minimum Necessary” Principal
- Permitted Use and Disclosure of PHI
- Incidental Use and Disclosure of PHI
- Authorized Use and Disclosure of PHI
- Notice of Privacy Practices
- Individual Rights Under the Privacy Rule
- ONC Cures Act Final Rule (*Includes 2021/2022 Update*)
- CMS Final Rule (*Includes 2021/2022 Update*)
- Ensuring Privacy Rule Compliance
- Additional Privacy Rule Considerations
- HIPAA Privacy Rule Scenarios
- HIPAA Security Rule
- Safeguards in Daily Practice
- HIPAA Security Rule Scenario
- HIPAA Breach Notification
- What if a Breach is Discovered?
- HIPAA Enforcement Rule
- HIPAA Enforcement Rule – Penalties
- Real Life Examples of HIPAA Breach and Violations
- Recent Updates to HIPAA
- HIPAA Compliance Checklist
What You'll Learn
- What HIPAA legislation is for
- How to comply with changes to HIPAA implemented by the Omnibus Final Rule
- Key elements of the Privacy, Security, and Enforcement Rule
- The Breach Notification process
- How HIPAA affects your role in a Medical Office setting
When Does My Course Expire?
Your course will expire one (1) year after you purchase it (the date you submit payment), unless the course itself indicates otherwise.
How Quickly Will I Get My Certificate of Completion?
Once you finish your course and pass any required exams, you can print your certificate of completion right away.
What Can I Do If I Lose My Certificate?
If you lose your certificate of completion and need a new one, you can contact customer service at (877) 881-2235 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
What If I Need a Refund for My Training Course?
If for some reason you are not happy and would like a refund, send us a request within 72 hours of purchase. Here are the eligibility requirements you must meet:
- Your purchase was made no more than 72 hours prior to your refund request.
- You have NOT
- Attempted any portion of a test or exam.
- Requested or been issued a certificate of completion.
- Completed 50% or more of the purchased course.
If you meet all of these criteria, submit your refund request in writing via email to email@example.com with a proof-of-purchase receipt and an explanation for why you are requesting a refund.
You can find more information about our refund policy here.
Buying for a Team or Group?
Interested in bulk discounts and flexible billing options on our expansive library of HR, Ethics and Compliance courses? Connect with our Corporate Sales Executives today!
Upgrade your LMS to Include Manager-Level Access
- Assign Courses
- Tracking Employee Progress
- Maintain and Organize Records