About this Course
This course satisfies New York State’s required training on infection control and barrier protection for healthcare providers. It includes the most recent updates from the 2018 Infection Control Syllabus.
At the end of this training, you'll get a certificate of completion and qualify for 0.1 IACET CEUs.
What You Get
Certificate of Completion
100% online, available 24/7
At your own pace, save progress as you go
Content is updated and current
- Element I
- Standards of Professional Conduct
- Responsibilities of Healthcare Professionals
- Element II
- Introduction to the Infectious Disease Process – The Chain of Infection
- What Happens Once Exposure to a Pathogen Occurs?
- How Do We Prevent the Spread of Pathogens in Healthcare Setting?
- Hand Hygiene to Prevent the Spread of Pathogens
- Hand Hygiene Methods
- Host Support to Prevent the Spread of Pathogens
- Environmental Controls to Prevent the Spread of Pathogens
- Engineering and Work Practice Controls to Reduce the Spread of Pathogens
- Element III
- High Risk Practices and Procedures
- Unsafe Injection Practices
- Safe Injection Practices
- OSHA Guidelines for Safe Injections
- Who is at Risk for Exposure to a Pathogen?
- What Types of Devices Can Cause Exposure?
- Where do Exposures Occur?
- What Circumstances Lead to Exposure to a Pathogen?
- Engineering Controls
- Work Practice Controls
- Element IV
- Types of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Choosing PPE Based on Anticipated Interaction
- Proper Fit for PPE
- Proper Use of PPE
- Putting on PPE
- Removing PPE
- Element V
- Universal Principles for Reprocessing Medical Equipment
- Factors Influencing Potential for Contamination
- Steps of Reprocessing
- How to Determine What Level of Reprocessing is Needed
- Cleaning Medical Equipment
- Disinfecting Medical Equipment
- Sterilizing Medical Equipment
- Handling, Packaging, and Storing Sterilized Equipment
- Potential Sources of Cross-Contamination in the Healthcare Setting
- Factors That Have Contributed to Contamination and Disease Transmission
- Expectations for Healthcare Professionals
- Element VI
- Employee Health Assessments
- Management of Healthcare Workers with Potential Communicable Disease
- Healthcare Workers and Bloodborne Pathogens Risk
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
- Prevention Strategies for Bloodborne Pathogens
- What Should a Healthcare Worker Do if Exposed to Bloodborne Pathogens?
- What Should a Healthcare Worker Do if Exposed to an Airborne or Droplet Pathogen?
- What if a Healthcare Worker is Infected with a Bloodborne Pathogen?
- Element VII
- Understanding Sepsis
- New York State Sepsis Improvement Initiative and Rory Staunton’s Law
- Causes of Sepsis
- Early Recognition of Sepsis
- Severe Sepsis and Septic Shock
- Principles of Sepsis Treatment
- Patient Education and Sepsis Prevention
What You'll Learn
- Learn how pathogens get transmitted in healthcare environments.
- Understand how to apply scientifically accepted infection prevention/control principles to your work practices.
- List methods for minimizing pathogens’ transmission opportunities to patients and healthcare workers.
- Describe sepsis and the principles of its treatment.
When Does My Course Expire?
Your course will expire one (1) year after you purchase it (the date you submit payment), unless the course itself indicates otherwise.
How Quickly Will I Get My Certificate of Completion?
Once you finish your course and pass any required exams, you can print your certificate of completion right away.
What Can I Do If I Lose My Certificate?
If you lose your certificate of completion and need a new one, you can contact customer service at (877) 881-2235 or email@example.com.
What If I Need a Refund for My Training Course?
If for some reason you are not happy and would like a refund, send us a request within 72 hours of purchase. Here are the eligibility requirements you must meet:
- Your purchase was made no more than 72 hours prior to your refund request.
- You have NOT
- Attempted any portion of a test or exam.
- Requested or been issued a certificate of completion.
- Completed 50% or more of the purchased course.
If you meet all of these criteria, submit your refund request in writing via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a proof-of-purchase receipt and an explanation for why you are requesting a refund.
You can find more information about our refund policy here.
Bulk Order Calculator
Buying for a Team or Group?
Interested in bulk discounts and flexible billing options on our expansive library of HR, Ethics and Compliance courses? Connect with our Corporate Sales Executives today!
Upgrade your LMS to Include Manager-Level Access
- Assign Courses
- Tracking Employee Progress
- Maintain and Organize Records