Synchronizing islands is critical to system restoration. In this course you will learn how islanding occurs, how to synchronize islands, and how to handle under frequency and under voltage occurrences in electrical systems.
You will also review NERC standards and their relevance to the control and restoration of an island.
- NERC CEH: 2
- NERC OPS Hours: 2
- NERC Standard Hours: 1
- NERC Simulation Hours: 1
- NERC PE Hours: 2
- NERC EO Credits: 2
Terminal Objective: The trainee shall describe sytem dynamics and relevant emergency response.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall explain each of the following terms: (a) separation; (b) islanding; (c) paralleling; (d) synchronizing; (e) sync check; and (f) matching frequency, voltage, and phase angle in synchronizing.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall explain the various causes of islanding.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall describe the reason for and impact upon the system of automatic under frequency load shedding.
Terminal Objective: The trainee shall describe the dynamics of operating following an islanding.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall explain when synchronizing is required.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall explain when sync-check can be applied.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall describe what is matched in paralleling when a parallel path is already connected.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall describe the process required to synchronize an island.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall describe the steps necessary to preclude system under voltage emergency.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall describe the requirements for maintaining voltage per VAR-001 and VAR-002.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall explain how voltage control may be more critical during islanding and restoration.
Terminal Objective: The trainee shall describe how power transfer and system stability are required for reliability.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall explain the purpose of EOP-005 and EOP-006.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall explain the importance in limiting any SOL or IROL violations (TOP-007, TOP-008).
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall describe what each balancing area must monitor and control for synchronization to occur.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall explain the primary subject for key Reliability Standards: BAL-002, EOP-005, EOP-006, and VAR-001.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall explain the fundamentals of power transfer given a scenario with reduced impedance and full load upon line trip.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall describe the common practices for controlling power angle magnitude.
Lesson 1: Synchronizing Islands
- Synchronizing Islands
- Introductory Synchronizing Islands Quiz
- Causes of Undesired System Separations
- Mitigation of Undesired System Separations
Lesson 2: Electrical System Under voltage
- Electrical System Under voltage
- Review of Under voltage and Under frequency Tripping
- Isolated Pockets Created by Islanding
Lesson 3: A Review of NERC Standards
- NERC Standards
- System Stability
- Review Basics
- Things to Remember
1104 Synchronizing Islands - North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC)
- North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC)
- (609) 452-8060
- (609) 452-9550
- Website URL:
- Email Address:
- 116-390 Village Boulevard
Subject Matter Expert
This course is created and brought to you by 360training, a leading provider of accredited e-learning courses to working professionals through today's leading schools, associations and corporations. 360training's high-quality e-learning courses assist thousands of working professionals in a wide range of disciplines, helping them to succeed in today's marketplace, to renew licenses, to acquire certification or to prepare for a new profession.
This course was created by the instructional design staff of 360training in connection with field professionals whose many years of experience in adult educational theory and distance learning technology make the process of certification, compliance and training as convenient, engaging and cost-effective as possible.
If you have any requests for technical or instructional support, then please contact the 360training Support Department located in the HELP section of your account profile. Technical support inquiries are handled immediately; instructional support questions are answered within 24 business hours, with information provided by a qualified professional in your field through our network of subject matter experts.
End of Course Instructions
Upon successful completion of the course and the accompanying survey, you will get your certificate and, if appropriate, have your success reported to the relevant regulatory body.
NERC CE: If you selected this option at the course launch, your credits will automatically be reported for NERC CE through the NERC SOCCED reporting tool. In case of reporting failure, your credits would be manually reported within 48 hours. It is important to provide the correct License Number in order to obtain the completion certificate and get reported. You can also use this Certificate for PDH Reporting and reporting to any other Regulator (example PJM, etc.).
RCEP: If you selected this option at the course launch, you will NOT receive a certificate directly from the training page. Instead, your credits will be reported to RCEP and you would receive a certificate from them through email.
360training: If you selected this option at the course launch, you are seeking NO credit reporting. The training you are taking is for professional development only. You will receive a generic 360 certificate.
You will not be required to pass the knowledge check questions to move on to the next lesson. These will not be counted as a grade, but each question gives you insight into what you should have learned and the sorts of things you'll need to remember moving forward.
Got questions? Contact us below or call 877-881-2235
NOTE: Need Help? Are you an existing customer?
For all complaints or concerns Click here. For all sales enquiries, please fill out the form below.
Why Choose 360training.com?
- Fast and easy courses completion
- Get an education faster than at traditional colleges!
- 100% online - No classroom attendance required.
- Online customer support
- Over 500,000+ certified nationwide.