The objective of this course is to present the factors involved in operation of the gas turbine generating unit, including typical procedures for start-up and shut-down of the unit. On-load operation is discussed with particular emphasis on operating hazards and limitation. The course generally focuses on the heavy industrial type gas turbine. Aero-derivatives are discussed in detail in tape number five in the series.
- NERC CEH: 4
- NERC OPS Hours: 4
- NERC Standard Hours: 0
- NERC Simulation Hours: 0
- NERC PE Hours: 4
- NERC EO Credits: 0
Terminal Objective: The trainee shall describe prerequisites to gas turbine start-up.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall describe a typical start-up procedure.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall list prerequisites that must be met for a successful start.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall describe auxiliary systems and how each fits into the start-up sequence.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall explain the start-up control sequence.
Terminal Objective: The trainee shall describe gas turbine operating requirements.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall describe points or conditions that are monitored in routine full-load synchronized operation including:
- o Lube oil system
- o Fuel control system
- o Compressed air systems
- o Cooling systems
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall provide an overall description of protection for an on-line gas turbine.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall describe a typical, normal shut-down sequence providing the steps in proper sequence.
Terminal Objective: The trainee shall describe contingencies for abnormal gas turbine operations.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall describe potential hazards which can occur during gas turbine operation.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall describe points that could be alarmed typically in abnormal occurrences including:
- o Vibration
- o Temperatures (turbine inlet and exhaust temperatures, bearing temperatures, generator temperature)
- o Pressures
- o Fuel flow
- o Control failure
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall describe an emergency shut-down sequence.
Terminal Objective: The trainee shall describe gas turbine combustion hazards.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall elaborate upon and describe in detail the potential damage that may result in the hazards listed in the previous section.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall explain specific hazards of the combustor process.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall explain hazards of the fuel handling to the combustor.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall explain measures taken to minimize risk of fire or explosion.
- Enabling Objective: The trainee shall list and prioritize hazards in the combustion process from greatest to least.
Lesson 1: Gas Turbine Startup
- Pre-Start Operations
- The Turning Gear
- Unit Startup Part One
- Unit Startup Part Two
- The Startup Curve
Lesson 2: On Load Operation and Shutdown
- Rate of Loading
- Modes of Control
- Base Load and Peak Load
- Unit Shutdown
Lesson 3: Abnormal Operating Conditions
- Turbine Overspeed
- Bearing Problems
- Abnormal Lube Oil Conditions
- High Vibration
- Thermal Unbalance
Lesson 4: Combustion Hazards
- Exhaust Gas Temperature
2503 Operation of Gas Turbines - No Regulator/ 360training.com
- No Regulator/ 360training.com
- Website URL:
- Email Address:
- 1381, Burnet Road, Suite 100, Austin, Texas, 78727.
2503 Operation of Gas Turbines - Registered Continuing Education Program RCEP
Subject Matter Expert
This course is created and brought to you by 360training, a leading provider of accredited e-learning courses to working professionals through today's leading schools, associations and corporations. 360training's high-quality e-learning courses assist thousands of working professionals in a wide range of disciplines, helping them to succeed in today's marketplace, to renew licenses, to acquire certification or to prepare for a new profession.
This course was created by the instructional design staff of 360training in connection with field professionals whose many years of experience in adult educational theory and distance learning technology make the process of certification, compliance and training as convenient, engaging and cost-effective as possible.
If you have any requests for technical or instructional support, then please contact the 360training Support Department located in the HELP section of your account profile. Technical support inquiries are handled immediately; instructional support questions are answered within 24 business hours, with information provided by a qualified professional in your field through our network of subject matter experts.
End of Course Instructions
Upon successful completion of the course and the accompanying survey, you will get your certificate and, if appropriate, have your success reported to the relevant regulatory body.
NERC CE: If you selected this option at the course launch, your credits will automatically be reported for NERC CE through the NERC SOCCED reporting tool. In case of reporting failure, your credits would be manually reported within 48 hours. It is important to provide the correct License Number in order to obtain the completion certificate and get reported. You can also use this Certificate for PDH Reporting and reporting to any other Regulator (example PJM, etc.).
RCEP: If you selected this option at the course launch, you will NOT receive a certificate directly from the training page. Instead, your credits will be reported to RCEP and you would receive a certificate from them through email.
360training: If you selected this option at the course launch, you are seeking NO credit reporting. The training you are taking is for professional development only. You will receive a generic 360 certificate.
You will not be required to pass the knowledge check questions to move on to the next lesson. These will not be counted as a grade, but each question gives you insight into what you should have learned and the sorts of things you'll need to remember moving forward.
Got questions? Contact us below or call 877-881-2235
Why Choose 360training.com?
- Fast and easy courses completion
- Get an education faster than at traditional colleges!
- 100% online - No classroom attendance required.
- Unlimited 24x7 online customer support
- Over 500,000+ certified nationwide.