What's the Best Way to Help Ukraine?
When Russia invaded Ukraine on Feb 24, 2022, the world was shocked. The Russian assault led to more than 2 million fleeing civilians. This refugee crisis is still growing.
With so many Ukrainians displaced, many people worldwide are looking for ways to help. But it is difficult to know how someone in the US can offer support to those affected by the Ukrainian crisis.
We know that the situation can seem helpless, but there are ways that we can contribute and offer aid. Here are a few ways you can help Ukraine during this crisis.
Monetary donations are a powerful and straightforward way to help Ukraine during this time of need. All relief efforts for Ukraine need to be funded. Many times, that donation is the easiest way to make a large splash.
What are the best organizations to donate to for Ukraine?
Charity organizations offer a wide range of support for those affected by this event. Here are a few organizations that received three to four stars from Charity Navigator. Charity Navigator assesses these organizations' efficiency, transparency, and other factors.
- GlobalGiving helps non-profits around the globe through crowdfunding. The GlobalGiving Ukrainian crisis relief fund has a 7 million dollar goal to provide water, food, shelter, and other essential assistance to refugees.
- Direct Relief works to fulfill medical needs provided by Ukraine's health ministry.
- Care is a 75-year-old organization that operates in 100 countries. The organization is working to provide food, water, and hygiene supplies to people in Ukraine. Donate here as Care aims to help 4 million people.
- Doctors Without Borders is a 50-year-old Nobel-winning organization. They have medical teams in Ukraine and surrounding countries. They work to send staff and medical supplies to devastated areas. Donate here to support these efforts.
- Save the Children is a century-old organization that works in 100 countries. It has a Ukraine crisis relief fund to furnish children and families with food, hygiene supplies, funding, and other necessities.
- The International Rescue Committee actively has teams working in Poland to aid displaced families. The organization funds food, medical treatments, and other emergency care in Ukraine, Syria, Afghanistan, and elsewhere. Donate here to support the IRC's work around the globe.
- Razom is a Ukrainian-focused charity founded in 2014. It provides medical supplies to the country and works to "amplify the voices of Ukrainians." Charity Navigator has not assessed it but the organization received extensive coverage in the US media. Donate here.
Share Credible and Accurate Information
Using your social media platforms to support credible and accurate information is a great way to support Ukraine. Sharing accurate information helps others keep up-to-date on what is happening and helps to negate any false information being spread.
You can do this simply by reposting credible news posts to your platform. If you create your post from scratch, make sure your information comes from a credible source and is recent. Most important, be sure to credit where you sourced the information used in your post.
Use the following information as a guide to finding credible information:
- The information must be current and up-to-date
- The author and publication must be a trustworthy authority on the subject
- The sources cited by the author must be easy to locate, clear, and unbiased
The easiest way to find credible information is through news stories through top news outlets. Here is a list of credible news sources:
- Associated Press
- Center for Public Integrity
- Chicago Tribune
- Los Angeles Times
- Tampa Bay Times
- The Boston Globe
- The New York Times
- The New Yorker
- The Seattle Times
- The Wall Street Journal
- Washington Post
Here are ways to stay informed about the Ukraine crisis.
- Follow the official Ukraine Twitter account.
- Follow Ukrainian Journalism