About this Course
The objectives of this Hazardous Materials First Responder Awareness course are to address the Federal OSHA HAZWOPER training requirements for 29 CFR 1910.120(q)(6)(i) for general industry, and 29 CFR 1926.65(q)(6)(i) for construction. This course is also intended to meet any HAZWOPER training requirements for the EPA and State OSHA regulations.
Per 29 CFR 1910.120(q)(6)(i) and 29 CFR 1926.65(q)(6)(i)
First responder awareness level. First responders at the awareness level are individuals who are likely to witness or discover a hazardous substance release and who have been trained to initiate an emergency response sequence by notifying the proper authorities of the release. They would take no further action beyond notifying the authorities of the release. First responders at the awareness level shall have sufficient training or have had sufficient experience to objectively demonstrate competency in the following areas.
An understanding of what hazardous substances are, and the risks associated with them in an incident.
- An understanding of the potential outcomes associated with an emergency created when hazardous substances are present.
- The ability to recognize the presence of hazardous substances in an emergency.
- The ability to identify the hazardous substances, if possible.
- An understanding of the role of the first responder awareness individual inthe employer's emergency response plan including site security and control and the U.S. Department of Transportation's Emergency Response Guidebook.
- The ability to realize the need for additional resources, and to make appropriate notifications to the communication center.
Section 1 - Course Overview
Section 2 - Introduction to Hazardous Materials Emergency Response
Section 3 - Hazmat Emergency Responders
Section 4 - Hazardous Materials, Substances and Wastes
Section 5 - Recognizing Hazmat Incidents
Section 6 - Emergency Response Guidebook (ERG) Overview
Section 7 - ERG White Pages Quiz
Section 8 - ERG Yellow-bordered & Blue-bordered Pages
Section 9 - ERG Yellow-bordered & Blue-bordered Pages Quiz
Section 10 - ERG Orange-bordered Pages
Section 11 - ERG Orange-bordered Pages Quiz
Section 12 - ERG Green-bordered Pages
Section 13 - ERG Green-bordered Pages Quiz
Section 14 - Managing Hazmat Incidents
Section 15 - Basic Actions for All First Responders
Section 16 - Summary and Conclusion
Buying for a Team or Group?
Interested in bulk discounts and flexible billing options on our expansive library of Environmental Health & Safety courses? Connect with our Corporate Sales Executives today!
Upgrade your LMS to Include Manager-Level Access
- Assign Courses
- Tracking Employee Progress
- Maintain and Organize Records